Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Pollack Fishing From The Shore  (Read 1776 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Pollack Fishing From The Shore
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
Here is our spotlight on article for August 2012

Pollack

Pollack can be caught from the shore and boat for most of the year in the UK, with the Spring to Autumn often the best time to target these fish from the shore.  Pollack are fish of kelp forests, wrecks, strong tides and rocky shorelines. The pollack can grow to 30lb but from the UK shore a fish over 6lb is a good one.

In this article I'll be mainly writing about shore fishing, boat fishing will come at a later date. I won't claim to be a pollack expert but I have caught my fair share of these fish with my best so far at ten pounds. Pollack are easily one of my favourite sporting fish.

Input from members who love this type of fishing is also very welcome as the more info on pollack fishing generated by this article the better.

Pollack sport is exciting, no wonder they're sought after by shore and boat anglers

Pollack hit like trains and a fish over 5lb will test any sea angler's skill and tackle!

Many anglers mistakenly identify coalfish as pollack, however it's actually quite easy to separate these species.

Coalfish have a straight white line across their flank which is called the lateral line. Secondly the coalfish's jaw is equal in length, the top and the bottom jaw meet at the business end.

Coalfish identification below, white lateral line, no protruding bottom jaw

The pollack has a curved dark lateral line and a bottom jaw that protrudes beyond the top jaw

Pollack identification below, dark, curved lateral line, bottom jaw protrudes

Pollack can be caught in winter time but with coloured seas this is mainly to bait. Lure fishing takes place in spring and summer when the sea has cleared. Places to try are the rocky shorelines on the West coast of the UK plus the North and East coast of Scotland.

Pollack love rough ground and weed tangles, check out these types of places

How to tackle up for pollack

A heavy spinning rod capable of casting 2 to 3 ounce weights is fine combined with a medium sized spinning reel that's loaded with a heavy braid of at least 30lb test.  Buy a neutral colour braid as pollack have fine eyesight and may be put off by a bright line.  If expecting big pollack to double figures it's a good idea to step up a class to a bass rod and 8000 size spinning reel loaded with 50lb braid.  A heavy line is needed to bully fish out of the kelp and to cope with the initial dives of a good pollack.

A nice fighting pollack beaten by sturdy tackle in the kelp.

Tactics

Lures in clear water can be fantastic for pollack, some anglers say pollack are not choosy but I find they most certainly are! Different, methods and lures work best at different marks. On the West coast of the UK they seem to love jelly worms with red or orange tails. 

All lures for pollack are best worked in a constant retrieve and not in a jerky movement. It depends on how strong the tides or depth of water that you are fishing into as to how fast or slow your retrieve is.  Try to keep the lure no more than 20ft from the tops of the kelp fronds and you'll be in the killing zone.

Black or orange lures work well on the West coast for some reason and I find that any hint of orange in the lure makes pollack go mad for it.  Black lures also work well on bright days due to the simple fact that pollack look upwards for any hint of food passing by.  Black very simply makes a great silhouette against a bright sky.

My pick of lures at the moment for the West coast are orange delta lures or sidewinder mackeral fire in four inch, bigger lures attract less fish but they will normally be good ones that hit a six inch lure! Vary your colours and lures if fishing goes quiet

On the East coast of Scotland and England I find pollack love a two to four inch luminous green delta eel along with the mackeral fire sidewinders in the above picture.

Zenith spinners in the heavier 1 ounce versions can be great to and are my pick of the bunch as spinners go.  You may wish to replace the treble hooks with something slightly larger however.

Float fishing with ragworm works very well in all rough ground areas, but I find you need to be very patient with mackeral strip or sandeel as a bait on the East coast, however mackeral and sandeel baits do work well on the West coast.  Float fished peeler crab can work well on the East coast.  Try to position your float fished bait 20ft above the kelp

Bait

It's possible to bottom fish a bait for larger pollack, a side of mackeral or a whole calamari squid on a pennel rig can be an effective way to find these big fish.  Patience is required however when bottom fishing for pollack. 

You can also spin ragworm or sandeel which simply involves adding these baits to a long flowing trace and then constantly casting and retrieving the bait over the area your fishing, again try to keep the retrieve at a constant pace and keep the bait within 20ft of the tops of the kelp fronds below.

A freelined bait of mackeral strip, ragworm or peeler crab can be deadly, this simply involves baiting up a hook with no weight and allowing it to sink slowly to the bottom.  The one ounce ball method that I use for ballan wrasse can also be adapted here with the use of a one ounce ball or lighter weight to.  I've caught lots of pollack using this method.

If your chosen method isn't working try something different, have all options covered.  Keep your lure or bait deep, keep a constant retrieve, vary the speed of retrieve. I do prefer a fairly slow retrieve and work my lure over the whole area, fish are often at your feet so don't forget about the water directly below you!  Pollack will often hit as you are about to finish your retrieve and they can even leap out of the water after your lure, exciting stuff!

How I fish a lure for pollack is really simple and effective. I tie my braid directly to a three way swivel, picture below.  Connect the choice of weight, 2 to 4 ounce I find are perfect.  Then tie a six foot flowing trace of clear mono to the middle connection of the three way swivel.  I use a minimum of 30lb test for my lure trace.  If very large fish are expected I'll up this to 50lb test.

To cast you simply lightly hook the lure into the lead, it will come off when it hits the water.  Let the weight hit the bottom and start your retrieve.  Set your reel drag so your line won't break when a fish smashes into your lure.  Pollack often immediately dive into the kelp when hooked, if this happens try to keep the pressure on the fish and hopefully it will slowly start to move and come out of the kelp.

High tide combined with dusk or dawn is often the best time to target pollack at many marks.

If you have any tips on how to catch pollack, please post them in this thread.  Have fun catching those hard fighting pollack!!!
  happy days
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline al.thain

• Silver Member
Re: Pollack Fishing From The Shore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
great info mate  cool
STATUS SARDINE 

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »
great info dave, i remember reading an article a few years ago about a guy that had great results using copper coloured spinners and lures with orange in and he reckoned it was because of pollacks cannibalistic nature, feeding on the smaller pollack which were gold/orange from living amonst the kelp, maybe that explains the success of the orange lures???
anyway this article has whetted my appetite for some more wrist breaking action  happy days

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
Great useful info Dave.
These very tactics & Daves help got me my first pollock.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
great info dave, i remember reading an article a few years ago about a guy that had great results using copper coloured spinners and lures with orange in and he reckoned it was because of pollacks cannibalistic nature, feeding on the smaller pollack which were gold/orange from living amonst the kelp, maybe that explains the success of the orange lures???
anyway this article has whetted my appetite for some more wrist breaking action  happy days

Thanks lads, that does make sense Dave, now I know why orange can be good, nice one.  cool
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
Great write up Dave mate  cool
I used to get great results with black redgills over the west coast but the good old saying is if its dark and cloudy use the darker lures and if its bright out use bright colours   ukflag
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Online BenMc

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
good read dave, my best reults have been on the zenith spinners but from now on i will putting stronger treble hooks on them.

Chris s

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Excellent read that mate,highlighted some of the things i have not been doing right in the past,will give some of the techniques you have mentioned a go next time i am out cool

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!