Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Peeler Crabs  (Read 8093 times)

Online Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
Re: Peeler Crabs
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 06:26:55 AM »
remove them or they will turn black when defrosted andf stink  cool
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »
remove them or they will turn black when defrosted andf stink  cool
cheers matey
i've always removed them so far, the reason i looked into it is i've froze down some smaller crab which is a bit trickier to remove the gills with my sausage fingers so thought better to leave them in rather than destroy crab trying to get them out.
i've also noticed a lot more folk seem to be freezing there crab in shell which can't have gills removed yet still work???
which made me think is it really necessary  ??? ??? ??? ???

kirky

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
Its a funny one dave have done both froze with lungs and without when froze with the lungs they sometimes turn black with river crab they always turn black with the lungs in,so all in all better be safe and take them out as there is nowt worse than taking your crab out of freezer and having black mush to use

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »
i've always removed them so far, the reason i looked into it is i've froze down some smaller crab which is a bit trickier to remove the gills with my sausage fingers so thought better to leave them in rather than destroy crab trying to get them out. Dave "Quote"

Just use a small pair of Bait Scissors Dave, much easier & do a neater job. The Mustad ones are great.

Offline BenMc

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »
when freezing my peeler down i only remove there lungs if the crab are collected from estuaries as tend to be a lot more dirty. sometimes i get my crab fom a lad down worthing area and he collects from the open shore which are a lot cleaner and i dont think there is a need to remove the lungs from these types of crab and when defrosted they dont have that horrible smell tyne crab will if the lungs are kept in.

Der1974r

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
I all ways  remove the lungs , & usually only freeze them down when there popping rather than have them die on me cos the don't last long when they get to that stage then it's just the new lungs that need removing, a quick pat dry on a tea towel the straight in the freezer wraped indivdualy. I also use scissors like bob c said

Online Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of my set up with tanks and air stones i can run 4 tanks at once with around 600 average size crab at a time  ukflag

these cat litter trays slide into the shelf grooves in this fridge perfect  cool
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!