Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: How to make a Rough ground "skeleton" rig (Panel pin and foam method)  (Read 458 times)

Offline Liam Muizelaar

• Valued Member
  • Anglers and danglers
Hi all

Another rig video for you. With the winter season upon us and everyone turning attention to cod, i thought i'd showcase my go to rig for fishing amongst the kelp and rock.

Its just a variation of a standard pulley rig but stripped back to the "Bones" - i.e. minimal components hence the name skeleton rig.

The method also employs the use of the panel pin and foam mechanism for fishing a weak link/rotten bottom.

I like this rig as its basic - may seem crude but when you have gemini's, bait clips, numerous swivels, lead lifts etc. added into the equation its just one more thing to get snagged and ultimately lose. At the end of the day rough ground fishing can get expensive at the best of times - so why make it worse on yourself!

Enjoy. Like share subscribe etc. and let me know what methods you use :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFEevy4Jlc&t=1s

The following users thanked this post: DALE19, HCL29

Offline scott

• Valued Member
Re: How to make a Rough ground "skeleton" rig (Panel pin and foam method)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »
Nice video mate and can deffo see the benefits, although sometimes I wonder if the panel will fail to release as it looks very compact. I do like the hook snood and rig body attachment will be using that in future. But what do you do when the hook is snagged as them sakumas are hard to bend out?
IS IT WINTER YET?

Offline Liam Muizelaar

• Valued Member
  • Anglers and danglers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »
hook choice is down to personal preference scott - mustad vikings for example are great hooks for bending out so would be ideal on this rig. I only had sakumas to hand though!

As for the panel pin - 100% release mate. never had a single problem with it and a lot of the rock/kelp lads use the same method. the upsurge of water should take it away all the time, but even if it didn't it would dislodge as soon as the rig was slack in water.

Offline scott

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »
I do like incorporated bait clip like, gunna give it shot  .cool.
IS IT WINTER YET?

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »
another great tip mate.
I have a rig I use when lrf fishing that I also use in the kelp in the summer months
its a basic rig body of a swivel from main line to 14lb length of line from swivel and tied to what ever weight I am using then
I put 2 figure of 8 knots in the rig body as stop knots for 6lb hook snod where I make a loop at opposite end of hook snod.
I loop the hook through this loop and pull it tight against the rig body between the two stop knoots.
I have seen me use the same rig body for numerous fishing sessions and just replace the hooks and hook snods as and when required.
typical example when using this I fished 4 rods on round end of Seaham one Saturday morning earlier in the year casting into all the rough stuff for 5 hours and only lost two full rigs I lost a few hooks but also landed a few species hunt points.
When targeting the wrasse on shields I tend to up the rig body to 17lb or 20lb and up the hook snods to 10lb as you all know when the wrasse are there so are the Pollock biggest Pollock to date landed with this rig as been 3lb

Offline tonynufc

• Silver Member
  • professional blanker
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
nice one liam, you've just changed the way i've fished for 20 years. im out on saturday so i'll make sure i've got a few of those made up to try them.

Offline Liam Muizelaar

• Valued Member
  • Anglers and danglers
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 07:59:12 PM »
That's great to hear Tony. Like I've said before - if these vids helps 1 person I'm made up. Let me know how you get on mate. Its caught me plenty of fish and saved me enough money in lost gear the last few years.

Key thing is having confidence In what you're fishing with and that applies to what you're saying too terry. You know what methods work for you and you stick to it - and you do well.
The following users thanked this post: ELTEL

Offline tonynufc

• Silver Member
  • professional blanker
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »
That's great to hear Tony. Like I've said before - if these vids helps 1 person I'm made up. Let me know how you get on mate. Its caught me plenty of fish and saved me enough money in lost gear the last few years.

Key thing is having confidence In what you're fishing with and that applies to what you're saying too terry. You know what methods work for you and you stick to it - and you do well.

over the years even with a rotten bottom i've still lost a good few traces, last time out ive experimented with a longer rig body and shorter snood and it made a big difference, didn't lose many at all so im hoping your skeleton rig will improve things further, on the subject of the pennell rig, im a big fan of that, i use circle hooks on the top and i find most fish are hooked on that hook so i'll be sticking with the pennell, i just cant bring myself to use a single hook

Online regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »
thanks for takeing the time Liam,toshare your rig method.
personaly ill stick with my version,swivels @what have you.
im also like tonynufc,like my 2 hooks on,im sure it will be tried out by some of our members though. .cool..
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 02:03:29 AM »
Nice video Liam. I fish an almost identical rig in rough ground except I will use an extra swivel to join my snood as they are only a few pence if i lose the rig. Apart from that, my rigs are identical.

Again I never use pennels on rough ground as I think it's just another hook to snag and I've never ever had a panel pin not release... 100% effective.

Nice to see we are thinking along the same lines  smiley-lol.gif .cool.
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline Liam Muizelaar

• Valued Member
  • Anglers and danglers
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
Nice video Liam. I fish an almost identical rig in rough ground except I will use an extra swivel to join my snood as they are only a few pence if i lose the rig. Apart from that, my rigs are identical.

Again I never use pennels on rough ground as I think it's just another hook to snag and I've never ever had a panel pin not release... 100% effective.

Nice to see we are thinking along the same lines  smiley-lol.gif .cool.

Its a popular method mate and has been for years and years but surprisingly i see few people employing it. I loath the idea of chucking numerous clips, swivels, imps, lead lifts etc. out knowing im probably never gonna see it again though lol. When you tally up the components on a rig losing one rig could cost you anywhere between 1-3 quid depending what you're using. Spend a day on the rocks and that'll sharp chew a whole in any wallet lol.

But - it is all down to personal preference. Not knocking anyone who does things differently as ultimately that's what they're confident with.....and its their money lol.

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »
Couple of swivels and a hook lost is a fair price for a decent fish  smiley-lol.gif
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
A very interseting video Liam. I'm going to try some of those things next time Im making up rigs. I like the idea of using just knots instead of swivels and that panel pin thing looks great!  I usually use paternosters rather than pulleys for rough ground but will try it.

Offline Liam Muizelaar

• Valued Member
  • Anglers and danglers
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »
A very interseting video Liam. I'm going to try some of those things next time Im making up rigs. I like the idea of using just knots instead of swivels and that panel pin thing looks great!  I usually use paternosters rather than pulleys for rough ground but will try it.

Nothing saying you couldn't employe the same method with a paternoster mate. The pulley is easier in terms of making it possible to clip your hook down, but if you get the tension right with a pat, you could still achieve the same thing.

Offline HCL29

• Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »
Nice video, i like the look of it, have't heard of it B4 but will b making some up.(tight lines) smiley32
why buy fish? when you can have so much fun catching them.

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!