Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: chain {LINKS}.  (Read 135 times)

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
chain {LINKS}.
« on: June 10, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
 .old.JUSTa little heads up to the yougher members.

just got my hands on approx 6yards of above.used to use them years ago.my 6yds,will make possibly 60+leads.3-4 links cut up,for the rough ground areas.
used to tie them on with {that orange hand line stuff},cant remember the name.lol.
but found it better just useing copper wire on them,attached to line +swivel.
anyway,if yous can get a hold of chains,give it a try.{yous will save some money}.spark plugs aswell i say you say ,lol.
i
m sure the older members on sar,will have used them,ie sam smith,davey 1945,dale,to name a few,even BrianJ.lol.
i,used to get loads of the chains when i worked in the pitsLOL.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
Re: chain {LINKS}.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »
Used chain links & spark plugs a lot of years ago purely on cost & surprised nobody seems to bother now.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:45:52 PM »
I still use spark plugs on the odd occasion. Got a bucket full many years ago from a local garage. Don't actually seem to lose that many... :)

Chain links are a good idea.  Cheers Reg!  I remember your tip about using potatoes a while back!  .cool.

Online Sam Smith

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:05:27 AM »
Yes Reg I used chain links a long time ago, but stopped after a session in the seventies when I was on a boat trip out of St Abbs. I was using them for about 3 or 4 hours and never had a single fish while my 5 mates were all catching and being too stubborn to change to a lead weight I persevered until out of desperation I did put a lead on. Straight away I started to catch and managed to get a few fish before the trip ended. Since then I never again used chain links, but off the shore I don't think it would stop me from catching if I started to use them again. 
 The orange hand line cord was called Corlene.
<-- Fish Cake

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:16:34 PM »
I used to use nuts and bolts as well as cutting an old bike inner tube into 6inch lengths and filling it with sand or gravel 40-60lb line to your swivel and then an elastic band on the bottom to keep sand in if it gets caught up it just stretches out or some times just splits and you just loose a hand full of sand and a bit rubber

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »
I used to use nuts and bolts as well as cutting an old bike inner tube into 6inch lengths and filling it with sand or gravel 40-60lb line to your swivel and then an elastic band on the bottom to keep sand in if it gets caught up it just stretches out or some times just splits and you just loose a hand full of sand and a bit rubber
as a cyclist I've got loads of old inner tubes... Quite like that idea Terry  .cool.
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
I remember as a 10 year old melting lead & using a large teaspoon as a mould for sinkers.
In those days I never ever bought bait. Ragworm was from sandpoint, lugworm & whiteworm were from Bartrams bay. We also collected loads of mussel from the river.
Bloody hell that was 50 years ago  .old.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:56:12 PM »
I remember as a 10 year old melting lead & using a large teaspoon as a mould for sinkers.
In those days I never ever bought bait. Ragworm was from sandpoint, lugworm & whiteworm were from Bartrams bay. We also collected loads of mussel from the river.
i Brian got the t shirt,LOL.
MY best mould 50 years ago,{wait for it}.
just a HOUSE HOLD BRICK.the ones that had 8 holes in them.there still used today.
used to go @ pinch them off building sites.lol.
make the leads,then smash the brick up,to get leads out.
I some of us are grandads,great grandads now,but we are still{TOP DOGS}. .old. .old..LOL.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Online Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »
Potatoes are the future

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »

Yeh bri I had many a clip around the lugs for knacking the desert spoons up making weights as a lad

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »
I have tried fishing the rough ground around the end of Seaham of late a couple of times and lost very little gear using the same type of rigs I use for LRF fishing but bigger braking strain lines.
for this I use 1 swivel from main line to weight and tie weight on instead of using a weight clip just checking the knot and line near weight before casting.
depending on the weight being used I use 20lb main rig body with a 2oz weigh and 30lb with 3oz weight and so on.
I use 2 figure of eight knots in main rig body to keep hook snods in place and then tie a loop in the hook snod to attach hook snod to rig body this eliminates the use of swivels for hook snods that can quite often get caught up in the kelp.
depending on what fish I am targeting and what weight of fish I am expecting to catch will depend on the breaking strain of my hook snod.
if its some of the small species we target for species hunt I use 6lb line wrasse and some of the bigger species 10lb hook snod in the summer months.
I have yet to try it in the winter months for the bigger cod and other fish but I guess it would also work for them just upping the breaking strain of rig body and hook snods.
only set back I have had with the 6lb line is that the lobsters and crabs snip through it quite easy but I do land them also now and again

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!