Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: SW Scotland weekend away  (Read 671 times)

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
SW Scotland weekend away
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
SW Scotland Fishing trip June 2015

5 of us decided to have a long weekend fishing trip to SW Scotland. We pitched the tent onto the Auchenlarie caravan & camping site for 3 nights.
3 of the lads got to Auchenlarie for about 9-00am, set up the tent & went fishing straight away & hoping to get amongst some smoothounds. Graeme & myself didn’t manage to get up there & fishing until 8-00pm. The weather had been red hot all day for the lads but unfortunately the fishing was terrible & in the 10 hours they fished it resulted in 2 flounders & a mackerel.
We all decided to call it a day, get back to the tent, put the barbecue on & have a few drinks.

We woke up the next day to another glorious sunny & hot day. We decided to take a trip back along the road & try Balcary for the day.
After a long walk to the spot Scotts dad was already set up & had caught a couple of dog fish. We all got set up & hoped for a better session than the previous day.

It wasn’t long before the first fish was landed & Col managed to get a decent thornback.

Scott was next to get a good sized thornback.

At stages the thornies were coming in thick & fast. Jason was even pulling in double shots of thornies.

Not to be out done, I was soon into the thornies myself. The biggest I managed was 7 1/2lb.

The biggest thornie of the day was Cols at 11 ½ lb. The best bait was fresh mackerel.
The next day was another day of red hot sunny weather & we decided to have a trip along to Whithorn.
We saw a point that looked to have deep water but unfortunately it meant another long trek to get to it.
First cast & it turned out to be yet another dogfish.

After another 3 dogfish on my next 3 casts, I managed to get what turned out to be a new PB wrasse that was 2lb.

Steve & myself decided on a move near to where the other lads were fishing & I decided to put some daylights on & try for some mackerel. First cast resulted in a full house.

Next cast resulted in a Pollock.

The fishing all day was non stop whilst the tide was on the ebb. We decided to try a couple of hours on the flood & despite the usual dogfish, Scott managed to get 3 smoothounds on the last 3 casts.

All in all it was a fantastic trip away with great company, great craic, great fishing & terrific weather.

I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.
The following users thanked this post: dale19

Offline juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: SW Scotland weekend away
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »
Well done mate. Used to stay at that caravan site when I was younger. Decent fishing for ya!!
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
Good report that. I have many happy memories from fishing at Auchenlarie.

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 06:54:14 AM »
Great stuff brian looks loke a cracking trip  .cool.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline dale19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:53:11 AM »
excellent report good result & weekend all round  smiley32
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »
Great report and some lovely fish there.

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:05 PM »
great w/e for you and the lads brian some nice thorneys and other species well done .  davy.

Offline fishingmark

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »
Great fishing Brian, you've certainly been on the fish lately. .cool.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
that's the type of weekend I have in my dreams bri mate huge well done on all the pbs and fish species you lads managed  smiley32 smiley32 smiley32

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 12:37:18 PM »
cracking few days away Brian mate  .cool.
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!