Latest post on the boards

• Iceland the Land of Fire and Ice 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Iceland the Land of Fire and Ice  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Andy Copeland

• Valued Member
  • any help required just ask ...
Iceland the Land of Fire and Ice
« on: June 09, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »
After a number of years of promising myself a visit to Iceland Ive finally found time and payed a visit along with a couple of fishing mates Liam Muizelaar and Dave Sutherland,

After a 2 hour flight we found ourselves in Keflavík International Airport,Reykjavík and having cleared customs were met by Steve Mason our guide for the week,Steve originally a North East lad has lived in Iceland for 20 years and is the top guide without doubt,after leaving the Airport we started the long journey North a trip that takes 5 hours through amazing scenary with 24 hour daylight in June.

we arrived in the early hours at our home for the week at Brimnes Hotel & Cabins, Ólafsfjörður
the place was everything we had hope for and more,great views,great location,hot tub and even a lake on our doorstep ..

on arrival we took to our beds before a spot of food shopping then out for our first fishing session.
Árskógssandur - Ferry Landing
on Arriving at our first Venue we were giving the choice of rods for our week in Iceland,all good quality Century's with my weapon of choice a tip tornado Sport,great idea rods being supplied as it takes a lot of hassle out of the travelling,bait was also top quality with huge blow lug,Clam and Blueys,these were not the part thawed then refroze baits we are used to but solid easy to fillet baits.
as soon as baits hit the water we had bites from the off with huge Dab,Codling and Coalies ...

Double and Triple shots were the norm and for once I felt shattered pulling in fish..
Hjalteyri
Another Venue that had potential for some good Haddock and Wolfish along with Coalfish,Codling and the inevitable Dabs,we started on the Rocks before moving on to a jetty after losing a good fish on a ledge close in,the Jetty came good with some good Codling and Dabs but alas no Wolfies or Haddock ..

Akureyri/Hjalteyri
After traveling to Akureyri to find our chosen Venue a building site we move to a back up Venue at the Whale Watching Centre, the day started well with Dabs and Codling until from nowhere we were surrounded by Japanese Tourists that decided to photograph everything and anything ,I now know how the American's felt at Pearl Harbour the buggers were everywhere with one old guy showing more than a bit of interest in a Cod I had just landed,unable to fish we were forced to retreat back to the previous days venue ..

back on the Jetty we had the usually culprits of Codling to 7lb and Dabs to 2.5lb,Liam had a first for any of us in the shape of a Long Rough Dab with teeth a piranha would be proud of ....

Húsavík
What a Venue longest travel of the week but well worth it,Plaice were the target for the day and this venue has produced some big fish over the years,the fishing itself was awesome with 33 Plaice with Liam landing the best at 6lb we also had some good Coalfish,Codling and Dabs ..

After another backbreaker we all headed back to the cabin,it was bizarre sitting in a hot tub supping cans of Viking Lager as it bleached down with snow ....

Dalvik
we decided to stay local after the exploits of the previous day I was hoping for a quieter day,but this is Iceland and its never going to happen,same as previous days non stop from start to end,only one word to sum up the day  ..... shattered.

Siglufjörður
our last Venue and another first as we had to travel through a mountain to get there,its a brave bloke that decides they are going to build a 11km tunnel through a mountain,on arriving in the town it was stunning looking like it was made from Lego I've never seen anything like it,once again the fishing was amazing loads of fish but we never caught the Wolfish or Haddock we all hoped for but thats fishing for you ...

and that was the end of a awesome week ,we will be back next year without a doubt,on the final morning as the lads were sleeping off the previous nights drink I had a few casts outside the cabin, the result was my first ever Arctic Char and a belter of a true wild Brown Trout I never weighed it but had to be 3lb plus ....

on our way back to the Airport Steve took us to see the most Active Volcano in Iceland ,hissing Steam,Boiling Mud and miles and miles of Lava fields amazing place .

If you want Monster Cod then Norway's your Venue but if you want some of the best shore fishing you could ever experience give Iceland a go for less than a grand a head all in its a must do .
contact Steve Mason on Facebook (shore fishing iceland ) or email  www.shorefishingiceland.com
its worth mentioning that Iceland is a brilliant venue for the less able angler as all venues can be fished out of the back of the transport as most are commercial jetty's.
Sea Angling Sales at Fishing Republic
The following users thanked this post: BrianJ, regpude, Uncle_Filthster

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
Re: Iceland the Land of Fire and Ice
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
I always thought Iceland was supposed to be cold yet theres you all fishing in hoodies. If it was me I would be wearing five coats lol. Wow, what an excellent report and an amazing place. Tremendous fishing lads. Absolutely brilliant.
The following users thanked this post: Andy Copeland

Offline dale19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »
total cracking report lads excellent pictures some place to visit  smiley32
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »
great stuff, amazing report and pics .cool.  looks a stunning place to wet a line

Offline kayos

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
What a brilliant report and photos, thanks so much for sharing Andy.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »
cracking week away lads don't know how you's all fitted in the hot tub though  .unsure. great pics as usual  .cool.
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 09:25:24 PM »
Superb report and the fishing looks fantastic! I'd love to go there one day.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »
Fantastic report & pictures Andy. It definately looks like a trip well worth making.
Glad you all had a great time.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:51 AM »
awesome report. smiley32.thankyous.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Offline fishingmark

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:27:38 AM »
Canny trip lads.

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 06:04:45 PM »
Absolutely fantastic andy. .one day I'll get in that famous hot tub  happy_days.gif
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline kayos

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
Fabulous report!

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 10:03:24 PM »
Wow a holiday people dream of huge well done on all the fish lads smiley32 smiley32 smiley32 smiley32 happy_days.gif happy_days.gif and thanks for a cracking report mate

Offline juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 01:15:56 AM »
Was -20 when I went to Iceland a few Decembers ago... Far too cold for fishing lol. Cracking stuff Andy, lovely fish and a country that's well worh a trip too.
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline codboy62

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:45 PM »
great to see you are keen as ever andy fantastic trip looks a beautiful place have to get my lazy backside of the boat fishing and get some proper shore fishing in tight lines

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!