Random Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Braid for LRF  (Read 1395 times)

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
Braid for LRF
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »
I thought I'd give LRF a proper go and before I get into it big time I thought I'd start at the shallow end (if you'll pardon the pun!) so I've just got myself a Rockfish UL 0.5- 7g rod and the Rockfish 2000 reel. What strength braid and fluorocarbon should I be using for lures this light? Could you recommend any in particular?

Any help appreciated. Cheers Gaz.

Offline Lichtie

• Gold Member
Re: Braid for LRF
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
Hi mate , hot rockfish also do a cheap braid which seems pretty good value. I bought a spool myself but haven't used it yet , using some cheap stuff I bought from China for only a couple of quid and it's been good and too manages to cast 3 g  jig heads a reasonable distance. The one from China is called spectra extreme braid.
The following users thanked this post: DubberGaz

Offline juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
I ordered the cheap Chinese stuff and have had no issues with it at all. Will give you an idea if braid is the way forward for you without costing too much.
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.
The following users thanked this post: DubberGaz

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
Cheers lads. .cool. What strength should I be going for? I was thinking 6lb braid with 3lb flouro leader? Does this sound about right?

Offline Uncle_Filthster

• Valued Member
  • Newbie be gentle!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:24:47 AM »
6-8lb braid and fluoro or mono in a range broadly from 2-8lb should see you fine. I use 3lb, 5 and 7 depending on what I'm doing (rocks, technique, etc)

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
Cheers, I'll get some ordered. I have loads of mono from my coarse fishing I could use for leaders as well.

Another thing (amongst many) that confuses me......  .unsure. I was looking at braid in the Veals catalogue and Spiderwire @ 20lbs is 0.25mm but Berkeley whiplash is 0.06mm @ 20lbs and is cheaper? Why the big difference? Surely the thinner the line the better? I would go for the Berkeley on that basis, but would I be doing right?
Cheers Gaz.

Offline Uncle_Filthster

• Valued Member
  • Newbie be gentle!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:48:32 AM »
Whiplash is a flat braid so they measure it on it's narrowest dimension, whereas most other braids are rounder and have a more accurate measure of diameter.

You wont go wrong with powerpro, but I'd get it in one of the brighter colours as it can be really hard to see dark braid against the water when you are trying to see where you are and how things are working.  I've been using the chinese copy stuff for 5 or 6 years too and not a single complaint. 0.8 to 0.15mm diameter in whatever you get should be ok. 

The only thing to be aware of is if you buy Berkley Nanofil.  In Europe it has been labelled wrong and the kg rating is actually it's lb rating so best to go by diameter and compare it to the Berkley USA charts on their site to check.  If you get it from america via evilbay it's labelled right though.  The other thing with nanofil is it's very slippery so you really need to use the recommended knots and check them. Other than that it's spot on and casts lovely.

GARY

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
Diawa do a great Braid............... For £70  ??? ??? Lol. There is also a 4-6lb braid they do/did....... Billy saw the daiwa rep for me and sorted it out.. Top bloke.  Don't stray to far from flurocarbon mind as this is a must also. This is why I buy reels with extra spools as you can fill one with braid and one with flurocarbon. I only use 2lb fluro on a alivio 1000 size reel For the rod you have. 4lb braid will allow you to use 2-3lb fluro leader without the worry of losing your braid. Split shot for dropshot method and 3grm jig head for flicking out......hopefully this wasn't to long winded lol

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »
Thank you both for those replies, very informative!  I reckon I know what I want now. Just itching to get out and try the rod now!  .cool.

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!