Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Holyhead Breakwater, Anglesey - North Wales.  (Read 1035 times)

Offline aqua-holic

• Valued Member
Holyhead Breakwater, Anglesey - North Wales.
« on: June 01, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »
Holyhead Breakwater May 2015.

After one thing or another cropping up over the last few weeks i finally got the chance to get away fishing for a couple of days . I decided on a trip to Holyhead breakwater in north wales with my brother. I fished the breakwater a few times last year and really enjoyed it and I was hoping to pick up a few new species for the hunt.
We arrived late in the day and realised we were unable to drive up the pier because of the blocks stena line had put on the pier to prevent people driving up and down.

So we decided to fish the bottom part of the pier and leave it until tomorrow to lug all of our gear up the pier to fish a spot that i had fished last year that was quite productive for species.

After chatting to a few of the locals that had been fishing most of the day and hadn't had anything it wasn't looking to good.
We got set up in the corner and were fishing the last of the ebb. I decided to put the big rod out using a penneled pully rig with a squid wrapped mackerel  bait and it wasn't long before the dog fish started coming in every other cast. 

later on as the tide turned and started to flood there was a little rattle on the rod and i thought it might be another dog fish but when i struck it felt like something more substantial when i eventually got the fish to the wall it was to big to be lifted with the rod so my brother grabbed the line to hand ball it up just as he started to lift it out of the water it dropped off it was a canny sized Bull huss i was gutted watching it swim away. After re- baiting and casting back out we were sitting chatting about "the one that got away" when the rod went again i struck and it felt about the same weight as before i was determind to land this one and after getting the fish to the side and not wanting to handball it up the wall i walked it around the side of the pier and into the corner where the steps were and held it there until my brother could get down the stairs to grab it. It worked a treat and my pb Bull huss was landed.

After a couple more hours of catching dog fish we called it a night and decided to get some kip.

The next day we were up bright and early and after breakfast we decided to head to Rhosneigr to see if the rock mark there was fishable. To get to the mark you head for the race track and just before the track there is a sign for the fishemans car park and a path behind the houses that you walk along to get to the mark. (its a bit of a walk so best to travel light) we left our stuff in the car and had a walk down first. It was to windy to fish with the wind straight in our faces so we decided to head back to the pier and spend the day there.

Back at the pier we got all the stuff out of the car that we needed for the day and headed along the pier and settled on a spot half way along.

Using the same tactics as last night big baits etc we were plagued by dogfish and after a couple of hours of dog fish and the tide rising i got the LRF rod out to see if there was any mini species about i was using a 4g weight and a size 20 fresh water hook with small sections of rag worm.
It wasn't long before the wrasse were being landed mainly Corkwing's then Ballen's along with LS Sea Scorpions, micro pollock and common Blennys.

Later in the day we noticed flashes of silver down the side of the pier. I wanted to catch one to see what they were so using the lrf rod it didn't take me long to get one they turned out to be sand smelt.

On the big rod's it was dog fish after dog fish taking every bait we put in so i decided to stick with the lrf rod hoping for a Gold Sinney wrasse and after getting through the Ballen's and Corkwing's my persistance paid and i got my Gold Sinney wrasse.

After a couple of days fishing i had four new species for the hunt and had enjoyed a coupe of days away and hopefully i'll get to head back down later in the year to fish a few of the rock marks.

Here's a short video of us fishing on the breakwater. https://youtu.be/RoZhgjZ5kqU

Thanks for reading. 

Click on the link to check out my Youtube channel for my latest Fishing Videos...  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYjKkAkxLSv34ERfixrYzA

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member
Re: Holyhead Breakwater, Anglesey - North Wales.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
Great report there fella. That Video is spot on. Thanks for sharing. smiley32

Offline aqua-holic

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
Great report there fella. That Video is spot on. Thanks for sharing. smiley32

Thanks Bob.
Click on the link to check out my Youtube channel for my latest Fishing Videos...  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYjKkAkxLSv34ERfixrYzA

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
looks like you had fun mate well done on all the fish you found to add to your list mate keep them comming
The following users thanked this post: aqua-holic

Offline juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Well done Aqua. Good report as usual mate  .cool.
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
Excellent report and what a cracking huss! The breakwater is a great venue, I fished there earlier this year. I tried that mark at Rossneigr too but couldn't find my way down in the dark lol. Your pics bring back nice memories.

Offline juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
 :) PS, that lid of your box could do with a right old scrub down  smiley-lol.gif
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:46:27 AM »
Great report & video. Looks a good sized bullhuss.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline broon shoe

• Bronze Member
  • Newbie be gentle!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:20:11 AM »
great report lads and a cracking huss just a shame about the one that got off well done happy_days.gif

Offline magpies

• Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
Great report, thanks

Offline kayos

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
Really enjoyable read and great video!

Offline aqua-holic

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
Thanks lads  :)

:) PS, that lid of your box could do with a right old scrub down  smiley-lol.gif
haha  your not wrong  smiley-lol.gif

Offline dale19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »
excellent report and pictures to boot   smiley32
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer

Offline fishingmark

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »
Great report and pics as always. Well done mate. .cool.

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »
Cracking stuff, I once drove up that breakwater and it was a hell of away, wouldn't like to walk halfway up it, never mind the end.  Well done on the species, especially the huss....effort payed off.  .cool. smiley32
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!