Latest post on the boards

• The Last Gdansk! 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: The Last Gdansk!  (Read 301 times)

Offline kayos

• Gold Member
The Last Gdansk!
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
The next day we went to the Maritime Museum, which was really interesting and included the first ship Polish shipyards built after WW2. The SS Soldek, it was outside at the Quayside, not in the museum!

Lynn got a bit carried away.

What surprised us most was the quality of the food. We had been to Krakow a few years ago and the  food was good, if a bit rustic and we expected the same in Gdansk. We were so wrong, it was fine dining every night, even in small cafe/restaurants. Lynn seemed to become a pescetarian for the week having Halibut, Zander, Herring, Turbot, Hake, Cod, oh and Oysters!!

I stuck mostly with meat, but couldn't resist the Halibut at £8! We didn't pay more than £11 each for a meal and I had a Haunch Venison which has to be the best restaurant meal I have ever had. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and the service impeccable, every night and the end of the meal we were asked if we needed a taxi booked. It puts us in this country to shame! As said the food was cheap, beer under £2 a half litre, 15 mins bus ride from our hotel 50p and under £3 back in a taxi. This was in the tourist hotspot of the Old Town, so who knows how cheap it was elsewhere!?

I know the Polish get a hard time in the UK, but we found them lovely. Hotel staff all extremely helpful, cafe staff so efficient and friendly and we just loved it. I understand, that at with a good wage is £600 a month, the lure of moving to another country. The receptionist at our hotel said to us that the Poles who come here are not a good example of her country, as they are the ones who can't get work in Poland. I'm not sure if that is correct, but it's what she said. Anyway a wee story from the plane home - I asked for a coke from the trolley and proffered a Scottish £10 which was refused, as they only accepted English notes, to say I was angry was an understatement, but knowing it wasn't the Stewardess' fault, I merely pointed out the irony of flying to Scotland and refusing Scottish notes! About a minute later the Polish girl sitting behind me, a girl of about 25yrs old, tapped me in the shoulder and said "I had a few spare Zlotys, so I bought you a coke!

How kind is that!!

Here is a few more photos.

The following users thanked this post: regpude, dale19

Online dale19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
Re: The Last Gdansk!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »
excellent report and pictures mark good holiday all round  .cool.
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer
The following users thanked this post: regpude

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
oops,thankyou was meant for mark.will 2nd dales comments.enjoyed viewing.ps,haway mark,when would you ever catch the said fish,lynn enjoyed all week.{ smiley-lol.gif smiley-lol.gif smiley-lol.gif}.wellcome back.well atleast mackeral will be on the menu shortly. smiley-lol.gif.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Offline kayos

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
Indeed it will be Mackerel time soon Reg, as it will for the charter Cod trips. Why not come with us one day and I will teach you how to catch Cod!  smiley-lol.gif

Online BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Enjoyed the reports & pictures Mark. Looks like a very worthwhile trip.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 05:54:21 PM »
looks like you two loved every minute mate

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!