Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Sea Angling Spotlight: Penn 525 Mag2 Part Service  (Read 24615 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Sea Angling Spotlight: Penn 525 Mag2 Part Service
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »
In this October 2012 Spotlight Article we'll take a look at reel servicing.  I'm writing this article for those who wish to have hassle free fishing sessions on the beach with a reel that casts smoothly and efficiently.  Tournament casting is not what this article is about. The article will give you the basic instructions about reel servicing. Most shore casting reels that I've looked at are built in a very similar way to the Penn 525 Mag2 and you can apply these instructions to many. This is a part service, full servicing will come at a later date.  ;)

Penn 525 Mag2, a very similar design to most shore casting reels. Tape the line to the spool with electrician tape to aid removal and fitting of the spool assembly.

Things you will need, lighter fluid to clean the reel bearings, screwdriver, a flat headed screwdriver in this case, reel grease, reel oil, kitchen roll to dry off the bearings, a tray with sides to keep small parts on, and a bearing removal hook tool.

Remove the left side plate screws with a flat headed screwdriver

Screw removal

You will notice you have two short screws and two slightly longer screws.  The two longer screws are at the 9 o'clock and three o'clock positions.  The two shorter screws are at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions when the reel is sitting flat.

Remove the left side plate.

An internal view of the left side plate, in the Penn Mag2 everything is held together neatly and you shouldn't lose bits that could drop out otherwise.  Care must be taken however with other types of reel as many pieces on the left side plate aren't held in place as well as the Penn Mag2.

Remove the spool assembly.

Both ends of the spool assembly hold the bearings that we are interested in. The first bearing is found under this plastic cover or cog ratchet as it's known in the center of the spool end that the metal rod known as the spindle passes through.

The second bearing is found under the metal clutch plate and clutch retainer clip in the center of the spool end that the metal rod or spindle passes through.

Remove the spindle from the spool assembly and clean with a paper kitchen towel.

Inside the reel cage, if it's dirty give it a clean with a toothbrush and a little warm water.

Remove the clutch plate retainer, be careful here as they can spring off never to be found again!

The clutch plate retainer.

Remove the clutch plate.

Remove the bearing that is located underneath.

Lift off the plastic ratchet cog carefully, best done with two screwdrivers placed at 180 degrees so as not to break it.

Remove the bearing that is under the plastic ratchet cog.

Place both bearings into a small cup of lighter fluid.  Please be aware of any ignition sources nearby and keep children out of harms way.  Leave for 20 minutes and dry off on a paper kitchen towel. Repeat the process and leave the bearings for another 10 minutes just to take away any remaining residue.

Remove from lighter fluid and dry the bearings on paper kitchen towel.

Add one drop of oil to each bearing and leave to soak for a few minutes. Too much oil will slow down your reel.  The choice of oil is up to you but I just use the oil that is supplied with the reel and this works fine for me. TG's Rocket fuel in yellow or red is the number one choice for many anglers.

Replace the bearings in both ends of the spool assembly.

Before you replace the plastic cog ratchet, line up the grooves with those on the spool assembly.

Replace the clutch plate at the other end of the spool assembly.

Reinstall the clutch retainer clip.

Correctly replace the spindle into the spool assembly.

Try spinning the spool assembly on the spindle, it should spin quickly and for some time to.

Replace the spool assembly and spindle into the empty reel cage.

Dab a small amount of grease into the screw holes.

Replace the left side plate.

Replace all screws but remember the slightly longer screws are at 9'oclock and three o'clock, don't tighten screws up too much, stop when they feel tight.

Set your magnetic brakes to the desired setting and take your reel out for a cast.

I hope this article has helped to give you the confidence to now take apart and oil your reel bearings.  There are more bearings in the reel but the two we have dealt with today are the most important for casting.  We will put together an article soon with the same detailed information regarding a full reel service.  A full reel service is something I do once a year unless the reel has been soaked in saltwater.  The part service detailed above I do aproximately three times a year or after roughly ten fishing sessions per reel.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/
The following users thanked this post: Bigroppa

Offline hulme6612

• Bronze Member
Re: Sea Angling Spotlight: Penn 525 Mag2 Part Service
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:11:46 AM »
Thats excellent Dave, cheers.

Do you know if the 525 mag original done in the same way?
Cheers Chris

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »
It's very similar Chris, you just need to take a little more care when you take off the left hand side plate as this holds the magnets and they aren't held in as well. Also when taking off the left hand side plate you need to remove the side plate protectors that go around the rim of the reel.  Under the side plate protectors is a small screw that needs to be taken out to release the left hand side plate from the reel cage.  When reinstalling this screw care needs to be taken because it can crack your reel if you tighten too much.

Everything else is the same but you'll find the plastic cog ratchet is white not black.

I'll add a few pics of the original Penn Mag to this thread soon.  .cool.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline hulme6612

• Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
that would be great Dave, Cheers.
Better get myself some lighter fluid and give it a try:exclaim:
Cheers Chris

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 07:20:54 PM »
Here are the main differences between the original penn mag and the penn mag2.

You'll see there are only three screws in the left hand side plate of the original penn mag 525, there are four but one is hidden under the side plate protector.

Take the three screws out, remove the side plate protector and you'll find a small screw at the 12'oclock position. Remove this screw and then remove the left hand side plate from the reel.  When reinstalling the screw do not! overtighten as it will crack your reel cage.

An internal view of the left hand side plate, original penn mag.  Be careful with it as the magnets can drop out of their holder.  The magnets are the four round items at the top of the side plate in the picture.

The side plate protector and the four screws you have removed below, the two longer screws are fitted at the 9 and 3'oclock positions, the shorter screw at the 6'oclock position and the smallest screw at the 12'oclock position.

Inside the reel cage we have the gold coloured line spool with the white plastic cog ratchet instead of the black in the penn mag2.

Unless you know what your doing it's not recommended that you take apart the right hand side plate (handle side) this we will detail in another spotlight article,  just to complete the full reel service.

It is however worth removing, cleaning with lighter fluid and oiling the bearing that is under the silver tension cap in the middle of the picture, a bearing hook removal tool is what you need.

Everything else detailed in my first post is the same, any problems just give me a shout.  .cool. 

Offline brijan

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
I have just fitted a pair of ABEC5 bearings in my Penn 525 reel, I must say your[ part service ]pictorial was fantastic it made it a doddle. smiley32

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 08:49:22 PM »
Thanks brijan..we are here to help
..big  .welcome. to the site to  .cool.

Online dale19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
good info just the job great help JV
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer

Offline Callum

• Valued Member
  • Aint nobody got time for that
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
Hello mate, any chance you could post the photos back? Im in serious need to know how to service my reel. Thanks
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!