Latest post on the boards

• Spotlight on LRF by Aquaholic 5 3
Currently:  

Author Topic: Spotlight on LRF by Aquaholic  (Read 3336 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Spotlight on LRF by Aquaholic
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
A fantastic article about Light Rock Fishing (LRF)  written by SAR member Aquaholic.  .cool.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline aqua-holic

• Valued Member
Re: LRF: Would anyone like to do a spotlight article?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:48:11 AM »

LRF. A basic introduction to light rock fishing around Tyne & Wear.

After reading about light rock fishing (LRF) a couple of years ago and how it was catching on down south it seemed like a good technique to try and bump up my species tally. I couldn’t wait to get out and give it a try around my local area to see if it would work just as well as it did down south.
Two years on and I’m still hooked on it. Hopefully this write up will give you some ideas to try out and give you the basic concept of lrf fishing around our local area.

What you will need to start lrf’ing;

Rod and Reel: Google search lrf rods and reels for a selection of rods and reels.
The rod I use is a Rockfish L (Lure Weight 3 – 12g. Length 7’6”) it cost me £32 a couple of years ago and is still going strong. The reel I use is one of my old coarse fishing reels. A Maxum Mx130. On the reel I use spiderwire stealth braid 7.1kg (15lb) breaking strain diameter 0.12mm and a leader of monofilament. I use different breaking strains of mono from 2lb to 6lb depending on what species I’m targeting.

Terminal Tackle:

Jig heads;
There are a lot of jig heads about for lrf and a search on the internet will bring up every jig head you can imagine and depending on your budget you can decide which ones you would like to use.
I use the cheap ones I bought off eBay for a few pound and they work for me and come in a few different sizes. Most of the places I use them are quite snaggy and I’ve lost a fair few so it makes sense to me to use the ones I do.

Lures;
There is a huge range of lures available most anglers use soft plastics. Isome make a good variety and are quite effective in our waters. Ecogear also make a good selection with most of the lures soaked with scent and amino acids to help induce a take.

The main ones I use are curly tail grubs, Isome worms and the tail sections of jelly worms and various spinners - small dexters wedges and meps etc.

Hooks;
Depending on what you are targeting will depend on the size of hooks to use. If you are targeting mini or micro species then coarse fishing hooks are a good idea and go down to a size 20. For general fishing size 1 to 6 sea fishing hooks are ok to use. (It’s a good idea to get barbless hooks or crush the barbs because it makes it easier to unhook the fish).

Floats;
I’ve experimented with a few fresh water floats and I like to use waggler’s and small pike floats.

Rigs;
Sabiki or heron feathers can be cut down to 2 or 3 and make ideal flapper rigs and can be fished with or without bait. The simplest rig I use is to tie a hook on to the end of the leader and clip a lead shot or two above the hook and use a tiny section of Isome worm. I also tie a few mini flapper rigs and a mini pulley rigs to use with small pieces of rag worm or mackerel.

Weights;
Small weights from 3g to 10g. Split shot in various sizes.

Other;
Forceps for unhooking fish, scissors and optional landing or drop net.

Tactics, Techniques & Marks.

Lrf fishing can be done by anyone and is relatively easy to pick up. Some of the marks where you can lrf are easily accessible for the whole family and less able bodied anglers. It can be as easy or complicated as you’d like to make it from fishing straight down the side of a jetty or pier to fishing into rock pools to more complicated on the drop techniques around rocks or structure. If you looking to get into the technicalities of lrf fishing a quick google search on some of the techniques such as OTD (On the drop), Sink and draw, slow and fast retrieves will give you more information on each technique.

Jetties and piers;

Cast and let the lure sink to the bottom. Tighten your line so that you are in contact with the lure and begin a slow retrieve keeping your rod tip parallel to the water, try to keep the lure clear of any snags on the bottom. If you feel a knock as you are retrieving a slight flick of the wrist is all you need to hook the fish striking to hard will pull the lure clear of the fish. Another tactic to try is to drop the lure straight down the wall or jetty to target bottom living fish, allow your lure to sink once on the bottom a few twitches of the lure here and there should work.
If you are not confident using lures or soft plastics and want to get a feel for bites etc. there is no harm in using a jig head tipped with the tail of a rag worm or a slither of mackerel. Experiment and do what works for you there are no set rules.

Rock Ledges and Rock pools;

The same tactics above can be used when casting from rocks try mixing it up a bit and trying different things until you find what works for you and don’t neglect dropping the lure straight down the rocks. Fishing in rock pools can be good fun try working the lure around the rock pool and close to submerged boulders and weed you can usually see the fish dart out and grab your lure and with the water being clear it will give you an idea of how fish react to your lure and how the lure works in the water. The usual cautions should be taken when fishing rock marks keep an eye on the tide to make sure you don’t get cut off and be careful on weedy rocks they can be very slippery when wet.

Lrf Tactics using bait;

Instead of using lures I sometimes use mini versions of sea fishing rigs and bait. Although fishing with lures is fun there are times when I like to use bait when I’m species hunting and have had some good success targeting mini species. The light rod and braid give good bite detection with the mini species that would be uncatchable on standard sea fishing tackle.
Even fishing close in there is a chance of an unexpected big fish be prepared and try not to leave your rod unattended because it could quite easily be pulled in. Mackerel, Pollock and Wrasse on lrf gear give an excellent fight.

http://fishingintheuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/3hookflapper2.jpg

What you can expect to catch.

The smallest species I’ve caught so far using lrf tactics is the two spotted goby and the largest is a Pollock. The species that I have caught around the north east are:
•   Butterfish
•   Codling
•   Common blenny
•   Coley
•   Common Eel
•   Eelpout
•   Flounder
•   Goby (two spotted)
•   Mackerel
•   Pollock
•   Rockling 5b and shore
•   Scorpion Fish
•   Sprat
•   Tadpole fish
•   Whiting
•   Weaver lesser
•   Wrasse Ballen
•   Wrasse Corkwing

And the ones caught on various fishing trips away are:
•   Tompot Blenny
•   Sand Goby
•   Rock Goby
•   Golden grey Mullet
•   Smelt
•   Goldsinney Wrasse
•   Ballen Wrasse
•   Corkwing Wrasse

And there is a lot more to catch.

A few Easy accessible Lrf marks;
Hebburn Marina.
Mill Dam.
The Spirit of the Tyne.
The Walkway.
South Shields Pier.
Roker Pier.
The Rat house.

A Few Rock Marks for lrf;

The cannon.
Trow Rocks.
Lady Bay.
Frenchman’s Bay.
Camels Island Marsden.
The Werry.
Whitburn Ledges.

To summarise Lrf fishing is about targeting what fish are there no matter what the size and having fun doing it. As with every type of fishing there are a lot of variables and I’m still learning as I go but I hope this article has given you some idea of where to start. If you would like to add anything please feel free to do so.

Thanks for reading.

Tight lines. 
Click on the link to check out my Youtube channel for my latest Fishing Videos...  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYjKkAkxLSv34ERfixrYzA
The following users thanked this post: Sam Smith, DALE19, sealman, baza

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
 smiley32 Fantastic report on LRF. It goes to show what a varity of fish we have on our doorstep.
I am sure your article will be a great help for a lot of the SAR members & it is something I will have a bash at this summer.
Thanks for sharing.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
better than a sea angler article,thanks for taking the time and sharing.   davy.

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »
cracking article gary  .worship. great stuff

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:51:05 PM »
Absolutely first class, mega thanks for that...we will add it to the spotlight section on Thursday.  .cool. smiley32 .worship.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline fishingmark

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
Great lrf report mate. Thanks for posting. .cool.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
brilliant report mate so is my 20-60gram lure rod to heavy for this type of fishing mate

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »
Excellent lrf write up there mate. Thanks for spending the time to write it.
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Online DALE19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »
excellent report m8 very interesting read   smiley32  must say it has been one of the best reports on SAR . GOT ANY MORE  .cool.
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer

Online Lichtie

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
Those Tronid rockfish rods are great for the money, I had a ul version before it finally snapped sfter some fairly rough treatment , replaced it with the new 7'3 rockfish 1-8g think its a bit sturdier even though it is only a gram heavier in the rating , but still miss the ul. Great post looks like you have some nice marks down there can't wait for summer to arrive and all the wrasse species start feeding.

Offline aqua-holic

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
Thanks lads appreciate the comments.  .cool.

ELTEL, There’s nothing to say you can’t use your 20 – 60g rod for this type of fishing but if you’re going after the mini species and wanting to cast light jig heads, lures and split shot a lighter rating rod up to about 12g would be better giving you more control over the lure, more precision over casting the lure and better bite detection.  :)

Lichtie, I agree for the money this rod is spot on I’ve used it all over the place in the sea and river’s. I’ve even used it for freshwater fishing on the Norfolk broads and the reservoir’s fishing for trout last year and didn’t have any problems landing rainbows of 1 – 2lb and its excellent for wrassing.  :) 
Click on the link to check out my Youtube channel for my latest Fishing Videos...  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYjKkAkxLSv34ERfixrYzA

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
Absolutely brilliant report & definitely worthy of an insert in Sea Angler etc. smiley32 smiley32

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Excellent and inspiring article. Cutting the tails of jellyworms - what a great idea! I'm going to try that.

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 03:32:13 PM »
super duper,great information.thanks for the BIG EFFORT. .number1. smiley32 smiley32
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!