Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Identifying Flatfish - Flounder, Plaice, Dab, Turbot, Brill, Topknot, Sole, etc  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
Plaice, Flounder and Dab

Just because your fish has orange spots it does not mean that it is a plaice! Flounders sometimes have orange spots too so to tell these species apart you need to look further. Dabs can also have spots though these are usually a pale yellow colour. It's actually quite easy to tell them apart as all three species have at least one unique feature which can be used to confirm their identity as follows:-

Flounder - The lateral line has many tiny bumps over it which will feel rough if you run your finger over them (the other parts of the fish feel smooth).

Plaice -  there is a bony ridge on it's head running from the back of the eyes to the start of the lateral line. Sometimes this ridge forms a series of bumps.

Dab - The lateral line has a pronounced semi-circular curve in it near the pectoral fin. It also has big eyeballs in proportion to its head. If you run your finger along a dab's back it will feel rough in one direction and smooth in the other.

Flounder

Flounder with Orange Spots

Plaice

Dab

Turbot and Brill

Turbot - easy to identify due to their round (almost circular) body and short stumpy tail. Their skin is covered with small scaly tubercles which feel rough to the touch.

Brill - more oval than turbot with a frilly front edge to its dorsal fin near the head. They have no tubercles so feel smooth to the touch.

Topknot

A small and rare flatfish which lives in rocky ground and uses suction to cling to rocks and even hang upside down. This is a left-sided flatfish with almost rectangular outline. It has rough scales on the upper surface which feel kind of hairy.

Types of Sole

Common Sole (sometimes referred to as Dover Sole) - another easy fish to identify due to its distinctive shape like the sole of a shoe.

Lemon Sole - less elongated than the common sole (more oval). It has slimy skin. There is often a prominent round blotch behind the pectoral fin and sometimes several more blotches elsewhere on the body.

Witch - The fins are darker than the body, often black. The lateral line is straight. The skin feels rough to the touch.

Megrim - This is a deep water fish and I have never heard of one being caught from the shore but you may get one from a boat.  Megrims have a large head, large mouth and large eyes in relation to the rest of the body. Thin body. Pale coloured and can have a translucent appearance.

The following users thanked this post: DALE19, HCL29

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
Re: Identifying Flatfish - Flounder, Plaice, Dab, Turbot, Brill, Sole, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
cheers mike will help me loads mate

Offline DALE19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:41 PM »
excellent info and pics will help me a lot to id flatties  .cool.
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »
Great stuff mike. .big help  .cool.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
 .cool.
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
you have got me thinking mike once again there are four flatties there that I have never landed before wonder if I can hook one this year Megrim, witch, lemon sole and brill happy_days.gif happy_days.gif happy_days.gif happy_days.gif happy_days.gif happy_days.gif .fish. .fish.

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 10:34:25 PM »
There were a few lemon sole caught off Tynemouth pier last summer so theres always a chance there
The following users thanked this post: ELTEL

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
there is another local caught flatfish that you can add to this list mike as for the past 3years they have been landing halibut on roker during spring and early summer mor and more each year are being landed :) :) :)

Offline HCL29

• Bronze Member
Hi mike good pictures,they will be a good help. smiley32(tight lines )
why buy fish? when you can have so much fun catching them.

Online lastchuck

• Silver Member
good one mate, thanks

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!