Latest post on the boards

• Fixed Spools 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Fixed Spools  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
Fixed Spools
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:50:11 PM »
Fixed Spools and braid are they becoming more popular for the North East rough ground marks  :question:

This method has split opinions amongst the match anglers some have changed completely to it where others hate it im still in the testing period using both long rods and my standard rods to see if I can get a new aspect to the way I fish  .cool.
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
Re: Fixed Spools
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:45 PM »
i love the long rod and fixed spool and use it where ever i can, but feel it has its limitations on some marks, but its great on others much more fun and feel...
i've been playing around with fixed spools and braid on my normal 14ft rock rod and haven't got it sussed yet, casting and playing fish i think you need to slow things down for both but i'm still learning and experimenting.
I don't think i'll totally ditch multi's and mono's though as they have there place for me and still like using them...

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
can't help you there nick mate I am an old timer and have mono on my multipliers and fixed spools I still think the stretch in the mono helps to stop the fish slipping the hook mate.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
can't help you there nick mate I am an old timer and have mono on my multipliers and fixed spools I still think the stretch in the mono helps to stop the fish slipping the hook mate.

Not after Help Terry just hoping to get peoples opinions on what seems to be a way a lot of anglers are trying with great success  .cool.

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:51:34 PM »
the only drawback I can see is the amount of braid line and braid shockers lost in the heavy ground marks,this and last year have seen some of the marks I fish losing up to 10 sinkers a time,put a reel on with 50lb mono and 70z spider and brought three sets of braid shocker in on one of my favourite shots,quite a few lads are saying there losing more gear than they used to,what do you lads think.   davy.

Offline Outkast76

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
I have personally found I lose more gear using f/s with braid when fishing heavier ground so now only really use a f/s with braid when fishing clean beaches or piking and use multis with mono fishing heavier ground

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
Personally hate Braid & only use on Boats. Have found the abrasion resistance to be really poor and noticed that when caught on the bottom any old bit of wood etc sees it snap at the Hand. Tried smooth Brush shank etc and no good at all. seems to require piece of smooth Steel to do the job.
That indicates to me that rough shore Marks will test it sorely.

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:47:40 PM »
i have noticed a few braid/line snags on some of the marks i fish and  pulled a load of braid in on one particular mark recently, there are more braid users now than ever. personally i lose very little braid as i fish fairly heavy line on rough ground  (66lb power pro mainline with 80-100lb leader) and tend to smash hooks and snoods or the rotten bottom does its job most of the time before the leader parts which is very rare.
i have heard some lads going down to 20-30lb braid but don't see point especially on the short chuck marks and really heavy ground it's only adding to the problem along with the cheap braid that snaps below the stated breaking strain, but tackle losses are inevitable on rough ground regardless how heavy a line use use, you can't win them all....
it would be interesting to know how long braid takes to break down in the sea compared to mono  .unsure.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 08:03:39 AM »
Line snags or a pain especially braid one's but I do feel its the lads using the lighter braids on heavy ground causing them as you very rarely lose your leader.Im not a fan of wrapping the braid around a piece of wood/metal or anything I just use my hand with a glove on that way once your out the snag you can get contact with your gear keeping it up and out of the snags.

Offline dabcatcher

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
ive gone over to fixed spool and braid on the mixed or rough ground.

i have 30lb on 1 spool but this is for marks where i need distance to get over snags to reach clean ground or the tide.

for the heavy stuff i use 60lb with a 90lb leader.

i think some lads are using very heavy hooklengths and rotten bottoms because they are using heavy braid. if they stuck to there regular hooklengths and rotten bottoms they would loose less braid.

i use my fixed spools with my ttr or ss but have kwags on these.

ive now sold my mixed/heavy ground multipliers.

i still like to use my small abu,s on my tip tornados over clean ground.

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »
anyone else went down this road ? if so whats your opinion ?

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
Used a fixed spool with 70lb braid for the first time on a long session whilst over SW Scotland & I was surprised how much I enjoyed using it. I used the fixed spool in the low position & it seemed fine. I got enough distance with it & with a bit more casting practice I am sure I could get a bit further.
Whilst reeling in a decent hound I could feel every movement the fish was making.
Definitely going to give it more of a go.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!