Latest post on the boards

• 2015 Species Challenge - Rules and How To Enter 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: 2015 Species Challenge - Rules and How To Enter  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
2015 Species Challenge - Rules and How To Enter
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:07:32 PM »
Ok folks here it is,  back by popular demand, the 2015 Species Race.  I will be running it slightly differently to last year but the basic idea is the same. The challenge will start immediately and end at midnight on 31st October. The challenge is to catch as many different species of sea fish as possible by rod and line in UK waters.  The winner will receive a trophy and also entry into the prestigious SAR Hall of Fame.

To take part in the hunt download the Species Challenge Card below. Put your forum name on it, print it out and take it out fishing with you. Photograph each species alongside the card and post it in the "2015 Species Entries" thread. If necessary take extra photos to show any identifying features e.g. the number of barbels on a rockling, the nasal flaps on a huss, the gill flaps underneath a sea scorpion etc. If you are not sure what species your fish is post it anyway with some photographs from different angles (don't forget it's underneath parts) and we will attempt to identify it for you.

Print this whatever size you want, but credit card A7 is recommended and is an easy size to keep in your wallet or pocket.

Fish can be caught from shore or boat and there are no species size limits. Catches must be fish - other creatures with the word "fish" in their name which are not fish are not eligable eg. hagfish, starfish, jellyfish etc.  Foul hooked fish are not allowed, all fish must have been legitimately caught i.e. lip hooked or gut hooked.

Fish must be photographed at the time and place of capture. Any fish which are photographed later at home or wherever will not be allowed. This is to prevent unnecessary killing of fish for points that would not be kept for the table and could have been returned alive.

All species of sea fish can be entered except for Weevers which like last years competition are still banned from the challenge for safety reasons (we do not want any anglers getting stung while messing around trying to get a photograph of one). Migratory species which spend part of their lives in sea water (salmon, sea trout, eels) are allowed as long as they have been caught in salt water. Fish caught in fresh water are not allowed.

Weever image below plus more info at http://www.marine-conservation.org.uk/weaverfish.html. If you catch one DO NOT HANDLE THIS FISH! the sting is venomous and very painful, seek hospital treatment if you are stung.  The sting is in a sharp spine on the black dorsal fin of this fish.

A change to this years rules is that the individual species of rockling will be allowed as long as you provide a photograph showing it's identifying features. I have added a short guide to identifying rocklings in another thread in the Species Challenge. However, individual species of Sandeel will not be allowed due to there being very little external difference between species so for the purpose of the species challenge we will only have one sandeel.

Ok that's it, let's get fishing. In the event of a tie for first place at the end of the competition we will have a vote for the best fish caught to decide the winnner.

Good hunting,

Mike
The following users thanked this post: JV, fishingmark

Offline fishingmark

• Gold Member
Re: Welcome to the 2015 Species Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
That was quick! well done on getting things started Dave and Mike. smiley32 smiley32
The following users thanked this post: clarksta36

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »
Cracking stuff mike caught me out to  .frantic. can't wait to wet a line to see what can be caught soon...the species race will give me the motivation I need to get back out fishing again  .cool.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
Will have a spin out tomorrow I think and see if I can get into an early lead  smiley-lol.gif
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
caught us north lads out as well,me thinks you trying to get one up on us north lads after last year.ha.ha.ha. no card yet but hope to be up and running sundays match,good luck lads some stiff completion this year,will have to get my pensioners pass out and do some traveling.haha. to keep trying for cod or try for the species that's the question going to be a busy year.  davy.

Offline Andy Copeland

• Valued Member
  • any help required just ask ...
Re: 2015 Species Challenge - Rules and How To Enter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
A new challenge ,looking forward to having a go at this one :)
Sea Angling Sales at Fishing Republic

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
Ah ha! Hello mate. Welcome to SAR Andy!!!

Offline Andy Copeland

• Valued Member
  • any help required just ask ...
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »
Cheers Mike,good to see the comp is in good hands.
Sea Angling Sales at Fishing Republic

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum Andy  smiley-lol.gif .welcome.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
Cheers Mike,good to see the comp is in good hands.

Thanks bud. It should be a fun competition this year.
The following users thanked this post: juliogeordio

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »
Yeah fun comp hopefully....  .happydancer.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 05:57:18 PM »
nice one mick and welcome aboard Andy just got my pc back on line so hopefully be out hunting next week

Offline andyco

• Valued Member
  • Newbie be gentle!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
hello lads, another convert here from the NESA hunt. looking forward to getting started.

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »
welcome Andy ! About time mate!  smiley32

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »
Just a reminder to everyone ... when entering your fish please put your pictures in a "reply" on the "2015 Species Challenge Entries" thread. Please do not start a new thread or post your pics elsewhere as I may not find them. Anyone having difficulty send me a PM and I'll try to sort you out.
Cheers,
Mike

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!