Latest post on the boards

• Skye 2014 pt2 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Skye 2014 pt2  (Read 455 times)

Offline Bigroppa

• Silver Member
Skye 2014 pt2
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:08:14 PM »
DAY 4.
There was a moderate south wind blowing so we headed north to a mark called Waternesh Point. This mark is a 5km walk from the carpark and a wrong turn saw us walking through some awfull Scottish marshland but we got there eventually after spotting the lighthouse. Then disaster, I stepped down a rabbit hole and badly sprained my ankle. Mick strapped it up using leccy tape and a couple of socks but my day was ruined. Anyway, this mark can only be described as Pollock heaven. Deep water, kelp beds, gullys and a nice strong current. I only managed 2 dogfish on bait but the Pollock fishing was the best I have ever seen. Imagine mackerel fishing but its Pollock in the 3-5lb range, We landed over 200 between us, 6lb the biggest but mick did loose 2 doubles at his feet.

Photos were poor that day but I was nacked. I headed off early with my dad and the walk was 1 of the most painful ever. We left 2hrs before the other 3 and they caught us up with around 1km left to go.

DAY 5.
I loaded myself up on painkillers and we headed off to Kimlaugh bay. This is the mark where the Whitby club landed the skate. I sat on 3 baitrods for nearly 9 hours without a bite. The others got a few Pollock but the mark turned out to be very poor.

That evening me and mick decided to fish the high water at Neist point. We only took the light gear and spinning sandeeel produced a load of good pollokk for us.

DAY 6.
The weather was awfull with a 40mph east wind blowing and heavy rain. We fished loch Bracadale to get some shelter. This mark produced a lot of mackerel, coalies and small Pollock. We also landed some good spurs to 12lb on the fresh mackerel and the sun even got out later on.

DAY 7.
Since watching a video on youtube, my dad wanted to fish a certain rock on Niest point. The wind was very strong south east but was due to swing round north. There was a big swell running past the mark and the water had clouded up a bit but we decided to try anyway. The sea was to heavy to hold bottom with the bait rods but the Pollock fishing was fantastic. My dad was getting them 3 at a time on hokkis. At first a spinner with a sandeel lashed on was getting the better fish and I dropped an easy double on the lift. When things went a bit quiet a single spun sandeel seemed to pick them out.

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
Re: Skye 2014 pt2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:42:23 PM »
great stuff again chris i can see skye turning into a popular fishing destination with what it has to offer  .cool. its definitely high in my list....
cheers for the report  .worship.

Offline Bigroppa

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
Absolutley unreal fishing, we had over 500 Pollock and 40 spurs between us in a week. just wished I hadn't nacked my ankle cos we wanted to fish Idgrill point but there is always next year.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »
good going lads plenty of fish in stunning scenery and a fat ankle what more could you want  .cool.
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »
WHAT A HOLIDAY,BIG WELLDONE ALL OF YOUS.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »
Thanks for the brilliant reports Chris. Pity about the ankle but it seems it was a trip well worth while.
Fantastic scenery & even better fishing.
What digs did you all stop in.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »
some cracking fishing there chris a well deserved holiday and plenty of action.  davy.

Offline Bigroppa

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
Thanks for the brilliant reports Chris. Pity about the ankle but it seems it was a trip well worth while.
Fantastic scenery & even better fishing.
What digs did you all stop in.

We stayed in a caravan in Glendale, it was quite small but all we used it for was cooking and sleeping.

Offline fishingmark

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:51:53 AM »
Great report and pics mate. Looks a cracking place to fish.

Offline dabcatcher

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:59:11 PM »
looks like a venue lots could be trying. people are flying abroad for worse fishing than that.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
Brill report and brill pics once again mate huge well done to you all smiley32 .happydancer. .happydancer. happy_days.gif happy_days.gif happy_days.gif

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!