Latest post on the boards

• How would you improve ? 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: How would you improve ?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
How would you improve ?
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
I know not everyone is competitive or fishes matches, but as anglers we 'should' all have in common the desire to catch more or even bigger fish!
If there is one thing that would help you improve your fishing what would it be ?
Would it be casting further, better bait, tackle, watercraft, venue's etc obviously there's more involved in success and failure than the the examples i've given, maybe its something else that might give you that edge or something your lacking which is holding you back and could make the difference.......
either way it would be interesting to hear 'How would you improve' your fishing  .unsure.

Offline dabcatcher

• Silver Member
Re: How would you improve ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:25:12 AM »
more hours fishing and traveling to more venues.

Offline A Rod

• Silver Member
    • The Photographic Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
1)  More time out fishing.
I don't get out nearly as often as a lot of you guys and as such I can't fish as many new marks.  Over the past few years I have certainly improved my catches but I hope with the next year or so I will be out more often and catching more often.

2)  Gain more knowledge of the correct conditions to fish certain marks.  I used to be a "fish just to be out fishing" type of angler until a few year back.  Once I realised that I wanted to be catching more I started to learn from my old man about the right conditions for marks and tried to fish to the conditions and not the time.  It made all the difference but I still have an awful lot to learn.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:00:12 AM »
Two things for me :
First would be to learn to do a better pendulum cast & hopefully gain a bit extra distance, even though sometimes the fish are at your feet it would be good to get extra distance if it is needed.
Second would be to visit more new marks. I enjoy being shown new marks up & down the country & hope this winter to try more local marks that I have never fished.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline A Rod

• Silver Member
    • The Photographic Fisherman
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
Two things for me :
First would be to learn to do a better pendulum cast & hopefully gain a bit extra distance, even though sometimes the fish are at your feet it would be good to get extra distance if it is needed.
Second would be to visit more new marks. I enjoy being shown new marks up & down the country & hope this winter to try more local marks that I have never fished.

I think it would be a good idea to consider a forum "meet-up" during the winter months to maybe get some tips and guidance from the more experienced anglers among our members

Offline Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
More mark knowledge for me, putting lots more hours in to learn the "whens" and "hows" of each mark.

I think it would be a good idea to consider a forum "meet-up" during the winter months to maybe get some tips and guidance from the more experienced anglers among our members

Forum meet-ups are always good to put faces to names and chat/fish with people you know online but have never met in the flesh. It doesn't just have to be in the winter though, summer fishing is just as much fun.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
I am sure JV organised a meet last year at Blyth for anyone who wanted casting lessons.
Can't remember who the instructor was but I believe he was very good.
Wish I could have made it at the time.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.
The following users thanked this post: DALE19

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »
have had a great couple of months fishing the species challenge instead of fishing for big cod,find it hard using the smaller hooks and fishing down the side of the pier wall but a new skill learnt at my age and hope to add to my total.  davy.

Online juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
Catching new and different species for me... Developing knowledge of how and where to catch those species. The joy of fishing is the constant learning for me... Managed 16 species so far this year and have barely been out that much (5mth old baby put paid to much of this year lol). Gonna aim for 20+ next year hopefully
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.
The following users thanked this post: DALE19

Offline magpies

• Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »
Better watercraft, get out more often and cast further

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 09:28:41 PM »
More mark knowledge for me, putting lots more hours in to learn the "whens" and "hows" of each mark.
spot on mike 100% agree  .cool.

Online Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »
Always take a spare reel  .crap.
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline DALE19

• consett war lord retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 07:15:03 AM »
I need to improve on my casting  ability  bait presentation & correct choice of rigs  going to new venues, it goes on and on in my case but I do enjoy my days out  .happydancer. and meeting up with other members.  .cool.
nowt again as usual ,just giving worms swimming lessons officer

Offline DubberGaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
For me its understanding the role tide heights etc play in the chances of being successful.

And learning which baits are best for which species etc.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
Learning to cast and being able to cast more than 60yds if I could do that I am sure I would be able to catch more species :) :) :)

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!