Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: to strike or not ?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
to strike or not ?
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
striking at a bite! . how important is it ??
do we really need to strike at that precise moment to drive the hook home or do most fish hook them selves  .unsure.
at this moment in time i like to let the bite develop for a bit before reeling and leaning into it which seems to be paying back more fish rather than frustratingly trying to hit the bite early at that exact moment you feel a nod which i see a lot of especially for cod .livid.
i know everyone is different and there can be a lot of variables to factor in  but... whats your take on it and what works for you ??  smiley-lol.gif

Offline A Rod

• Silver Member
    • The Photographic Fisherman
Re: to strike or not ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »
I always strike.  If I used hooks that would almost certainly be swallowed every time by the fish then I may reconsider doing it.

Yes I have had fish without seeing any bites but I still strike before I retrieve.

Online Thunderpants

• Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
    • Hendrix North East
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »
I use both methods and both catch.  The problem with striking is that if the fish only just has the bait between it's lips and you yank the line hard you can just pull the whole thing out of its mouth without hooking it. If you don't strike they often hook themselves when they pull against your weight. If you are using circle hooks then you definately do not strike as circle hooks are designed to slowly catch a fish in the lip on the way back out after being swallowed. A slow wind into the fish is required then as a strike can pull the hook straight out of its mouth without hooking.

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
I always prefer to let a fish hook itself as I often think that striking into a fish runs the risk of pulling a hook straight out. This becomes even worse when you are using braid as there is no stretch in it.
At the end of the day it's each to there own & each method will have its pro's & con's.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
I never strike I just pick my rod up and wind like mad as I generaly always fish rough or mixed ground.
The reason I don't strike is the fear of snagging the weight up and loosing everything.
 happy_days.gif

Offline A Rod

• Silver Member
    • The Photographic Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
It really is fascinating to see how many of you lads don't strike.
I was taught to fish by my old man and I was always told to do so....but now....hmmm I wonder how necessary it is?
I suppose we all do what works for us. 

I may try a "no-strike" session and see how it goes  happy_days.gif

Online dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
I just lift and wind in,9times out of 10 fish has hooked itself,different when your match fishing and scratching as every bite counts,seen to many rods damaged on pier on over eager lads striking at the first bite getting excited and hitting back wall.  davy.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »
This subject is really down to personal choice I like to strike especially fishing in the kelp not to hook the fish but to get its head up and moving before it knows what's going on and gives what I feel a better a chance of landing it  .unsure. on the beaches I like to bump by bait back when I think the fish is hooked then reel into it when I feel extra weight I have seen people fall flat on there back when trying to strike no need to go at it that hard  smiley-lol.gif
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »
some interesting replies lads, always good to hear others anglers take on things as everyone does things differently... cheers

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
oops,like this new quick reply bit.been awhile since been on,personally tend to wait then strike into fish,more so fishing rock marks.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Offline juliogeordio

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »
I tend to wind down and lift straight into any fish... Reason being if you strike you tend to have a bit of extra loose line out due to tidal pull and the stretch of the mono so striking probably doesn't have that much of an effect (different if using braid). I was also taught that when fishing anywhere with a bit of tidal movement that fish if they take a bait will also be moving through the water so in theory the hook should set itself as the fish moves off.... Interesting theories either way! I find my reaction time is too slow so by the time the bite is transferred via my mono to me then the fish has already hooked itself or moved off before I can do anything about it anyway lol
Bass fishing addict! Bass in 2017 - 17.

Offline dabcatcher

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
i wait until i feel the fish move away from me then lift and wind [without stopping]. obviously in the rough stuff i'll wind a lot faster to get the fish clear of the bottom. over clean ground its just a matter of keeping tension.

fish like huss, tope or rays i might strike as there mouth area is very tough.

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 07:21:37 AM »
I tend to wind down and lift straight into any fish... Reason being if you strike you tend to have a bit of extra loose line out due to tidal pull and the stretch of the mono so striking probably doesn't have that much of an effect (different if using braid). I was also taught that when fishing anywhere with a bit of tidal movement that fish if they take a bait will also be moving through the water so in theory the hook should set itself as the fish moves off.... Interesting theories either way! I find my reaction time is too slow so by the time the bite is transferred via my mono to me then the fish has already hooked itself or moved off before I can do anything about it anyway lol
good answer that mark,imo.saying that all above answers are helpfull. .fish. .fish. .fish. .fish.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 09:34:53 PM »
missed a load today in windy conditions so gonna bump this  smiley-lol.gif

Offline Andy Copeland

• Valued Member
  • any help required just ask ...
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
I personally never strike,mono has around 15% stretch so at 100mts you would need to pick up 15mts the rod at most is 4mts long so its impossible to pick up the stretch to set a hook.
Sea Angling Sales at Fishing Republic

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!