Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Horden Thornback  (Read 393 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Horden Thornback
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »

For the past two years I have had the odd visit to the Durham beaches during Summer in the hope of catching the very elusive North Sea, Thornback ray.

My venue had to be a beach giving a good depth of water at high tide which has thrown up one or two rays in the past for anglers willing to wait it out.

Bait can be the key to success or failure when targeting certain species so a bucket of peelers was the bait of choice today, these I'm told rays love.

One rod was cast out as far as I could cast which isn't very far to be honest and a second lighter Bass rod was cast short at around 50 yds in the hope of picking a Bass up. Three hours passed very quickly in the glorious sunshine but I hadn't had as much as a touch on either rod.

I was just thinking about calling it a day when my Bass rod steadily pulled down and that was it for a moment, ???? I thought a bit of weed had snagged my braid so I picked up the rod to see what was going on and that was when all hell broke loose, something big, alive and heading for Norway was obviously on the end. After what seemed an eternity and one of the best fights I've ever experienced a new personal best Thornback was beached.

An 8lb 4 ounce cracker.

The beasty...

Was I pleased?, you bet I was, only one bite all day and only one fish but this was one of the best fishing experiences I have ever had. Tightlines, J.V.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
Re: Horden Thornback
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »
wow dave just been viewing some of these  old reports and youve had some mint fish a over the years, great of you to share on the forum with us, keep them coming

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »
Your patience was well rewarded that day Dave. Pity you didn't manage to lift that one at Silloth as I am sure it was bigger.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline ELTEL

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:03 AM »
nice one dave when did you get this thornie was it recent mate I have been after a ray off the north east coast for a few years now mate been talking to jimmy and kennny this morning about them spotted rays mate

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
good catch there dave well done.  davy.

Offline fishingmark

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »
Great stuff mate! smiley32 Makes up for last weekend.

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!