Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Spotlight on Port Carlisle  (Read 3068 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Spotlight on Port Carlisle
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
This is our spotlight article for April

Port Carlisle is situated 12 miles to the North West of Carlisle on the Solway Firth in Cumbria.  During spring it's a great spot to catch flounders.  It's easily possible to hook a fish a cast and at times sport can be quite hectic.

Fishing on big tides over high water will normally give good catches

You will get around three or four hours of fishing over high tide and then the water will retreat until the Solway is nearly bone dry.  If you arrive too early you'll find little if any water to fish into, especially on the bigger tides.  Aproximately 2 and a half hours before high tide is expected the sea returns to the estuary creating a tidal bore that races in over the sand flats.  It must be stressed that this is a dangerous area to fish and it's a very bad idea to venture out onto the sand flats looking for fish as you will easily be out paced by the flooding tide.  Wait on the banks of the Solway for the tide to return and if possible fish from the grass.

Bass rods or even spinning rods and reels are fine for this type of fishing.  The use of braid as a mainline adds an extra dimension to your fishing experience with it's direct contact to a fighting fish.

We use watch leads instead of grip leads as these are just easier to wind in than leads with wires but have good gripping qualities when needed.

Multi hook rigs with size 1 hooks are all that's required.  Good baits are small strips or squares of bluey, ragworm, lugworm or peeler crab.  Peeler crab is undoubtedly the best bait from May onwards.

Some fine specimens are caught at times with many over 40cm in length.

Port Carlisle map. http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=t4rffwgr1203&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b&eo=0&form=LMLTCC

Fine weed on your line can be a problem here and as the tide retreats it can become unfishable due to large collections of this stuff on your line.

The best spots to fish are at either side of the village with our favoured spot just to the West of Port Carlisle old harbour.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
Re: Spotlight on Port Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »
Cracking write up Dave fishing with braid and light gear is the best way to enjoy flounder fishing imo  :) I might try back leads next time over to try and ovoid the weed to get more fish  ;)
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Gary

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »
Great review of fishing location dave just the ticket and fully explained I will be using the braid next time  ;D ;)

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
Great report, info & pictures Dave. Hoping to get back over there in the next couple of weeks.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
Once again Dave mate, another excellent and very informative report and mark review by you, keep em coming mate, excellent pics and reading.

Great work mate.  ^-^

Offline eddie t

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »
Toppa info Dave nice one.
Feel free to take a look at my blog.
My blog. http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.co.uk/

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!