Random Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Braid Leaders  (Read 601 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Braid Leaders
« on: October 12, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »
Hi lads, in theory braid leaders sound like a good idea. 

Small leader knots are a good thing surely, but before I go tying braid onto my reels are there any safety issues in using lets say for example a 60lb length of braid as my leader instead of the normal 60lb mono?
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member
Re: Braid Leaders
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »
Would think it will be strange to Welly a cast out with it Dave as there is no stretch. Would be ok with a soft forgiving Rod I guess. Also, not sure if it would cause problems for you with Tangles.
It isn't good from an abrasion point of view either so would be suspect over anything but clean ground.

Personally, I hate the stuff for anything but Boat fishing and even then I use a rubbing leader.

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
I suppose braid wrapped up in a kelp stalk would be almost impossible to untangle to Bob, just someone in the tackle shop recommended using it as a leader material, maybe more bother than it's worth though by the sounds of it.  .unsure.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
I suppose braid wrapped up in a kelp stalk would be almost impossible to untangle to Bob, just someone in the tackle shop recommended using it as a leader material, maybe more bother than it's worth though by the sounds of it.  .unsure.
[/quote

I think its worst fault is the Abrasion. I have had it snap at my hand pulling for a break when wrapped round smooth timber on a few occasions. Lost lots of expensive Line.

volante

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »
Well I use 80lb Power Pro braid tied to 12/15/18lb main line and dont have any problems, any losses and it tends to go at the leader not. I normally use the Yukatan knot as its basically the easiest of the lot to tie,
and this helps when you cannot feel your fingers with the cold - just wet the knot and pull it up nice and slow.
Davey...............

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
Well I use 80lb Power Pro braid tied to 12/15/18lb main line and dont have any problems, any losses and it tends to go at the leader not. I normally use the Yukatan knot as its basically the easiest of the lot to tie,
and this helps when you cannot feel your fingers with the cold - just wet the knot and pull it up nice and slow.
Davey...............

That's very interesting....I've actually never heard of the yucatan knot before so I decided to look it up and have got to say what an easy simple knot to tie.  .cool. 

Here it is on netknots for those who've never heard of it to. 

The animation near the bottom of the page shows just how simple it really is  http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/yucatan-knot/

ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »
JV; I use 50lb braid as a leader on my beach reels with 15lb mono main line. Absolutely no problems whatsoever; tiny little leader knot is a huge advantage. I use a 10 turn Albright knot; simple to tie.
Also, I use 80lb braid straight through when fishing the rocks; no problems at all and the biggest advantage of using it is when you have to pull for a break you don't have to walk 10 yards taking the stretch out of the line before it breaks; just wrap around your arm a couple of times and lean backwards and it either pulls through; the hook length breaks  or your rotten bottom snaps.

Offline regpude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
dont get me wrong dave,use it all the time on my f/s,but with mono s/l.the 1 big problem i see imo is,if you use a braid s/l there is know way really you would be able say hand ball a fish off say s/s pier,as the braid bloody cuts threw your fingers,so if know body has a pair of gloves or your fishing alone BIG PROBLEM,thats just my view on the theory.
old timer.good at winding members up.ps,but will help out anyone best i can.

Offline David Patterson

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
I was looking at Henry Gilbys website the other day and saw this:
http://www.henry-gilbey.com/photo_essays/the_best_braid_to_fluoro_knot_i_know

It's called the FC knot. I'm going to try it when I'm using braid from the beach with a shock leader.

Offline BenMc

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
dont get me wrong dave,use it all the time on my f/s,but with mono s/l.the 1 big problem i see imo is,if you use a braid s/l there is know way really you would be able say hand ball a fish off say s/s pier,as the braid bloody cuts threw your fingers,so if know body has a pair of gloves or your fishing alone BIG PROBLEM,thats just my view on the theory.

if its a big fish say cod or something similar dont a lot of people walk it to the stairs. depends on how thick the braid is too. i have hand balled massive clumps of kelp up with no problems when using braid on my multi.

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!