Random Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Your look back at 2013  (Read 1069 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Your look back at 2013
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
Hi lads I very much doubt I'll get much fishing in before the New Year arrives but being fishing daft and nothing else to do at the moment.....here's a look back at my fishing year.  Hard going at times but also very enjoyable to!

I think I done okay in the end, although I have had better.  I'd love to read your end of year summary to if you've got time away from the Christmas crackers and sherry at some point.  happy_days.gif

Ok it was February before I managed a trip out as I was saving my dosh for a trip to Skarnsundet in Norway for a spot of shore fishing. I caught a decent number of fish in the 3lb to 8lb range but this time the monsters eluded me.  smiley-lol.gif

Feb 2013

Down to minus 21 at times but the cod kept a coming.

Towards the end of March I was back out fishing again for flatties without much success  smiley-lol.gif

It wasn't until the first week of April that I pulled in a new pb flounder at 45cm from Port Carlisle in Cumbria.

April pb

At the end of April the weather finally warmed up and I popped over to Port Carlisle again with Brian J.  This time better results and quite a few fish, with them coming in two at a time. .cool.

May

First trip on the boats out of Whitby, very few cod caught but I did manage a few pollack with this cracker on a jellyworm over a wreck

At the end of May I had a look over the south west coast of scotland where I caught a load of small pollack on a hectic days fishing, losing one real big one on a jelly. Still quite cool at this time due to the harsh winter that dragged on and on.

June

It was time to try St Abbs in Scotland, very slow and unbelievably for me this was the only wrasse I caught all year, nice one though!  smiley-lol.gif

A week or two later and we were doing well at Abbs, with nice pollack and cod.

July

It was off to Norway again fishing with light gear mainly for pollack, cod and coaly sport, my best pollack 9lb, coaly 7lb, cod 14lb and torsk 11lb, loads of fish at times and I was absolutely shattered and sick of the sight of fish.  .fish.

At the very end of July I was spinning for mackeral when I caught my first sea trout to a lure on South Shields pier

August

Back on the boat at Whitby where it was quite slow but I did manage a few to 10lb on the shad.

End of August and it was more pollack bashing with tons of mackeral to, this time at Eyemouth, at a mark I'm now going to try more often next year.

September

It was bassing in Northumberland

November

My first decent cod session of the winter at Lynemouth beach in Northumberland, I'm always a slow starter when it comes to this type of fishing.  .shiver.

December

Yet to catch a load of cod but have had a couple around 5lb from the Northumberland rock marks.

So here's to a happy new years fishing for all our members, enjoy the festivities and then get into some fishy action.  I look forward to reading more of our members reports in what remains of this year and into the next.   Happy Christmas and a great New Year to all!.  .cool. .drunk.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BenMc

• Platinum Member
Re: Your look back at 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
nice on JV some good pics and all in all not a bad year.

my most memorable moments of 2013 are as follows.

1. fishing trip to norway for my first ever time boat fishing with cod to 22lb, coalie to just over 5lb, haddock to 5lb and my first ever torsk. the most enjoyable 5 days fishig i have had with a good set of lads and plenty of laughs along the way. (lookign forward to next year)

2. hooking into my biggest ever pollock of around 9lb only to lose it out my hand  :cry:

3. having my best ever winter so far with 2 new pb's and plenty cod to go with them.

4. first ever trip up st abbs and catching my first kelpy cod.

looking back 2013 has been good and bad but i think the good have really out weighed the bad, a lot more learnt with another years fishing under my belt and cannot wait to see what 2014 will bring in my 4th year of fishing really looking forward to it.

best wishes to everyone and hope you all have agreat christmas.

.drunk. .drunk.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
I had a fairly average year fish wise I did get a few Pb's on the way along with the Flounder challenge title  smiley-lol.gif I started the winter off very strong with a good average bag weight but still yet to get one over 5lb  .crap.

Highlights of the year my 2 Norway trip and seeing the smile on Bens face with his massive Cod  .cool.

looking forward to 2014 adventures with hopefully a few trips west for bass and Pollack if I can squeeze them in  ;)
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »
 smiley-lol.gif aye the look on bens face when his big  cod came out of the water was priceless. Gotta agree highlight of my year to nicky.  We need to see his pic on this thread again. smiley32
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BenMc

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
i knew it was a good fish but i had no idea it was going to be a cod that big. if i remember correctly i had to stop fishing for half an hour to take it all in. my legs went like jelly and the feeling was amazing.
i couldnt stop thinking about it.  smiley-lol.gif

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »
Bit of a mixed bag for me in 2013.
Jan & Feb got me plenty of codling but nothing of any great size.
I decided to give the summer fishing more effort & really enjoyed fishing new spots, going over to Port Carlisle with JV & managing a PB flounder over there.
I managed a new PB dab at Cresswell & had a great trip to Lynemouth when my mate Col managed a 3lb & a 3 1/2lb plaice.
My personal highlight was when I caught my first ever spotted ray whilst fishing on Seaham pier.
Hope everyone has a great Xmas break & all the very best for 2014.

Roll on 2014
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline al.thain

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »
Good yearly write ups and photos lads  .cool.
Been a tough year for me after getting married things went downhill losing a friend, then a family member,then another family member being diagnosed with an illness anyway took some getting back into the swing of things but the last couple of weeks  started picking a few nice fish up and some decent bags  .cool.
STATUS SARDINE 

Offline dave1945

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 01:30:43 PM »
well done all you lads some great fish there , a special mention to ben mc who has come on a ton this year,one of the few young lads who is willing to listen to the advice  given to him and not afraid to put it into practice,just waiting for him to p/m me with his doubler he deserves one for all the effort put in.a very merry xmas to one and all get out there and catch that big one all the best.  davy.

Offline pop65

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »
the start of 2013 brought us a few coddies but no great size then april may we had couple of trips over the west coast for flatties  and 1st trip collescting peeler with mixed results mainly down to the extended winter summer couple shots on Tynemouth pier and up newton in search of Pollock july august September I was working in Manchester so didn't get out much
this winter season so far has been my best since returning to sea fishing three years ago a new pb and well over 35 sized coddyies  so far and a much better catch rate
also it has given great pleasure watching ben mature as a sea angler his thirst for knowledge and the hours he put in fishing also I would like to thank dave Hayley and rest of the lads as without your support and passing on knowledge to young anglers that's what sets this site apart good friendly advice and no abuse
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year Phil
any sea fishing will do as long as i have me rods reels bait to try and catch a few

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
2013 was a bit up and down for me but plenty of good memories

i had my first norway trip at the beginning of the year which was fantastic, a stunning country where i caught a few fish and made some new friends

i had my usual few trips over port carlisle in spring after flounders and had some good sessions landing some corkers too

i had a fair summer fishing in the new club, some good days local scratching up river and up Northumberland searching the kelp for the summer residents, although i never caught any big fish or huge bags i weighed in every match which was just enough to win the summer league as there was only a few ounces in the top three positions

a good day in browns bay

my trips over SW scotland were pretty dissapointing, i only managed to find small fish but i did try out a couple of promising new marks which i'll be visiting from may next year in better conditions and a safer way down to some of the marks  smiley-lol.gif

its been a bit of a struggle for me this winter on the cod front, missing the best opportunities and failing to snag any decent fish or bags for that matter, always a day or two early or late 
but hopefully there's still time to change that yet  this season

about the average stamp for me the last 2 month

hope you all have a good xmas and a good 2014

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
Cracking post Dave, thanks for that.  .cool.

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!