Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Spotlight on Rotten Bottoms  (Read 16015 times)

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
Spotlight on Rotten Bottoms
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
Rotten bottoms can be an essential part of tackle when fishing over rough ground, where you are likely to get snagged on weed and rock and lose your end tackle, which can become frustrating and costly,  using a rotten bottom to sacrifice your lead can reduce lost gear and fish.

The idea of a rotten bottom is, if your lead gets stuck the weak line will snap with a good pull of the rod leaving the lead behind on the sea bed, allowing you to retrieve the rest of your rig and a fish if you have been lucky enough to hook one.

A rotten bottom or weak-link rig is just a normal fishing rig with a weaker line tied between the rotten bottom device and your lead weight, for example when fishing with 30lb main line i'd use a 20lb weakline to the lead or 25lb line then 15lb weakline and so on, go too light on your weak line and you'll find you bump more leads off when retrieving over obsticles, up here in the north east these rigs are also generally tied with fewer components and a single hook to reduce other parts catching the weed and rock snags.

Now as you have a weaker line between your rig body and your lead you will have trouble casting your rig with the weak line likely to snap when you cast. This is obviously a danger to both yourself and others around you, this is where a rotten bottom link comes in. Power casting (pendulum) with rotten bottom links can be dangerous as mis-timed casts can see the lead jump from the link leaving the weak line taking the force of the cast resulting in a stray lead flying off in any direction. not good

So You will need some thing that will not release during the cast but release on impact with the water or sea bed, which can be helped by leaving a bit slack in your line for a few extra seconds after your rig has been cast, there are many variations out there and all have there followers but its up to you to find out what works best for you.

Here is a few to choose from

First up is the upturned Gemini lead link with bait clip, very simple and a reliable releaser

The Rotter is popular and cheap and again is simple and reliable but a little prone to catching snags in my opinion

Next up is the Canny Link which works similar to the above but you can clip your bait down on this one.

Here we have the Gemini Genie breaker a little more expensive but these as with the others can be made at home with some good pliers and wires, i found it can fail to release more than the others but a little safer to cast as its harder for the lead to drop out.

and last but no means least my personal favourite the old Loop and pin, cheap (almost free) and by far the most reliable and less likely to snag,  good to cast and can clip a bait to it if you set the snood tension right, you'll need some panel pins with a 10mm square of foam or plastic milk carton, simply form a loop at the end of your rig body, attach a weak-line and tie your lead to that, then push the loop through the lead eye and pop your panel pin through it,gravity will keep it in place.

if you have any other options, ideas or questions on rotten bottoms add them to this thread

Offline BenMc

• Platinum Member
Re: Spotlight on Rottten Bottoms
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
good read that dave.

i have been using braid on my saltist now for a few months and found that when using a rotten bottom i.need to use 30lb line for the weak link. With braid having no stretch anything lower i find just snaps straight away.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
Great info Dave will be very use full for people wanting to fish rough/heavy ground  .cool.

good read that dave.

i have been using braid on my saltist now for a few months and found that when using a rotten bottom i.need to use 30lb line for the weak link. With braid having no stretch anything lower i find just snaps straight away.

Ben im sure the main line to weak link ratio will still work out to your braid as no doubt its 66lb power pro so I would use 30-35lb rotten bottom  ;)
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »
Great stuff Dave, I always use 20lb for my weak link, don't want to lose weights if I can help it.  Main line 30lb minimum, sometimes 60lb  happy_days.gif
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline eddie t

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
Some cracking info there Dave nice one mate.  .cool.
Feel free to take a look at my blog.
My blog. http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Lichtie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
Great info, there's a good few marks near me that these could be put into practice.

plaiceho

Re: Spotlight on Rotten Bottoms
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
i use panel pin method no foam on pin though cheap as chips used to be versatile and never come back unreleased.

Offline Adam1234

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
When i first started fishing heavy ground i would use rotten bottoms and tended to loose quite a few leads, however now i have stopped using them i tend to loose a lot less gear, i feel like half the time im stuck solid and start walking back the gear comes free, were as if i was using a rotten bottom i would of lost the lead. .livid.
The only place i would use them now is when using lighter line on mixed ground marks.

plaiceho

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »
When i first started fishing heavy ground i would use rotten bottoms and tended to loose quite a few leads, however now i have stopped using them i tend to loose a lot less gear, i feel like half the time im stuck solid and start walking back the gear comes free, were as if i was using a rotten bottom i would of lost the lead. .livid.
The only place i would use them now is when using lighter line on mixed ground marks.

i myself have thought quite a bit about this as well.

Offline Dave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »

i was the same adam until i started fishing matches and have been fast up with fish on too many times which has cost me and made me go back to using them, i don't think losing half a dozen leads or so a session is such a big deal its par for the course on most marks i fish, i'd get more frustrated loosing full sets and fish  .livid.
mind your right half the time its your hook that snags and as long as you use something that bends out you should get your gear back.
plenty lads i know of won't entertain rotten bottoms and do just fine without them.

Offline greggthe1

• Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »
Great write up Dave.

I like you have had a terrible time in matches this season loosing fish because I stopped using rotten bottoms. Some marks are not so bad but in the heavy kelp I have lost a lot of fish. I don't mind loosing sinkers if it means getting the fish back so I'm about to start going back to using a rotten bottom. Hopefully my club results will improve and if not then I'll just have to accept I'm crap lol
I beat the cod challenge!

Offline Adam1234

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 12:27:36 AM »

i was the same adam until i started fishing matches and have been fast up with fish on too many times which has cost me and made me go back to using them, i don't think losing half a dozen leads or so a session is such a big deal its par for the course on most marks i fish, i'd get more frustrated loosing full sets and fish  .livid.
mind your right half the time its your hook that snags and as long as you use something that bends out you should get your gear back.
plenty lads i know of won't entertain rotten bottoms and do just fine without them.
[/quote]

I think the main thing is if you don't use rotten bottoms go for a higher breaking strain line and you should have a high chance of getting your gear back when you pull for a break.
 I think rotten bottoms tend to be suited to certain heavy ground marks rather than others i.e over boulders and heavy rock, where as i don't think they are suited .to fishing into shallow water over kelp, just my opinion.

Shouldn't matter whether you do choose to use them are not the most important thing is having confidence that your gear is strong enough to land any fish you hook.

Offline joe roberts

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »
tried them all but lately ive found them canny links to be far better.

Crabs

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »
Good info there mate,can you buy them canny links anywhere???

.cool.

Offline Nicky

• Platinum Member
  • always learning
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
Good info there mate,can you buy them canny links anywhere???

.cool.
Canny links are made by tronix mate  .cool.
East End Sea Angling Club Secretary

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!