Latest post on the boards

• Spotlight on Smoothounds 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Spotlight on Smoothounds  (Read 2866 times)

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Spotlight on Smoothounds
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Sea Angling for smoothhounds is great fun and once you've caught a big one you'll be addicted for life. May to August is Smoothound season and as the inshore shallows warm up the hounds come in looking for peeling crabs. Fish over twenty pounds are a serious prospect with many over 5lb in weight. An average sized smoothound below from Chapel Point in Lincolnshire.

Smoothound hit your bait and run, pulling rods and tripods over as they make a dash for freedom.  Reels must be set so the fish can take line or you'll risk them snapping you off.  Each year the hound fishing seems to get better and better, with it's northern range extending relatively rapidly.

Well known spots to catch a smoothound

Mixed or clean sand venues that hold populations of crab are good places to try.

• South West Scotland: Kirkcudbright.
  • Cumbria: Nethertown and Braystones.
  • Lancashire: Cleveleys and Rossall Point.
  • Yorkshire: Easington, Dimlington, Kilnsea and Out Newton.
  • Anglesey: Llanddwyn Island and Raven’s Point.
  • Lincolnshire: Chapel Point, Chapel St Leonards, Moggs Eye and Huttoft.
  • South Wales: Aberthaw, Marcross, Monknash and Rhoose.
  • Suffolk: Mundesley and Orford Island.
  • Kent: Sandwich Bay, Reculver and Dover breakwater.
  • Sussex & Hampshire: Selsey West Beach, Bracklesham Bay, Pagham and Hill Head.
  • Dorset: South Bournemouth beach, and Chesil beach at Ferrybridge.
  • Devon: North coast through the Bristol Channel, Porlock and Minehead.
  • The Isle of Wight: Burntwood, Hampstead, Fort Victoria and Yarmouth pier.
Smoothound Fact

• These fish don’t have teeth, they crush their food with a set of bony plates in the mouth.
  • Peeler crab is by far the best bait to catch your smoothound but ragworm will also account for a few.
  • It's a myth that you need to blast a bait to the horizon to catch a smoothound, it can help but fish can easily be caught within 50yds of shore to.
  • A dawn early morning session over high tide is often a great time to target these fish.
  • Smoothounds normally feed best in daylight from most venues but they can be taken during darkness to.
  • There are two types of smoothound in UK waters, the starry and the common.  Starry smoothounds have a number of white starry dots on their flanks while commons have no spots at all.
  • Fishing is generally best when sea conditions are flat and the weather is warm.
A Holderness smoothound below at the most northerly range of this fish on the English East Coast.

Rigs
A simple clipped down pulley rig, main body 60lb mono, with a 3ft length of 30lb mono to a strong size 3/0 hook
is ideal.

Bait
Peeler crab is deadly and is 100% all I would use. If your fishing a venue where your often pestered by other species like dogfish then try this useful tip......  simply cast your peeler crab out unshelled. This will deter other fish species like dogfish but smoothounds will still eat the unpeeled crab without a problem at all. 

The future for smoothound fishing

Looks great with more and more fish each year to be caught and it's range extending northwards

At this fishes northern most range in South West Scotland the smoothound are generally smaller with fish between 3lb to 10lb most common below.

Hopefully this article inspires you to go fishing for smoothounds and as said above it's very addictive catching these powerful great looking fish.  I'm sure your first will have you hooked for life.  .cool.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline al.thain

• Silver Member
Re: Spotlight on Smoothounds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »
Another good informative write up jv  .cool. never had a try for them  but sounds a fish worth targeting  ;)
STATUS SARDINE 

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Another good informative write up jv  .cool. never had a try for them  but sounds a fish worth targeting  ;)

They are fantastic fish Al, a good one will buckle your rod over and you'll have a hard time keeping up with as they can move fast to.  Just a shame up here in the NE we need to travel for them.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep" Check out my blog http://viking-valhalla.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BrianJ

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »

I was lucky enough to get this 10 1/2lb smoothound on my first trip down to Holderness.
It's a fantastic place to visit & though I have been lucky & caught them each time I have went down there I have known many to try several times before catching there first smoothound.
As JV mentioned, peeler crab is the only bait to use.
It needs to be a flat sea, little wind & a warm sunny day.
You also stand a good chance of a bass at Holderness.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
Great informative post Dave, will be of great use to anyone willing to travel. happy_days.gif

Offline eddie t

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41:54 AM »
Great info and tips dave.  .cool. Am going to try for one this year so that post will
come in handy.
Feel free to take a look at my blog.
My blog. http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.co.uk/

plaiceho

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:03:16 PM »
very good post, got a friend who lives chapel point area swears by using single shrimp as bait and one of my seaham m8s also does .just pointing this out as sometimes crab can at times can be hard to come by so by all accounts live shrimp is very effective also. 

Members Gallery Pictures

MySQL error:Access denied for user 'dsr67'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

To access all the boards on this forum please read the Forum Rules then click on "Register" to become a Member. We look forward to welcoming you to SAR!