Shields Pier- 3lb9oz & 4lb8oz.

kelpys sea houses

BrianJ PB catches

PB Bass 3lb
wrasse

Ballarat 21lb Ling

Caught on Shy Torque Whitby 21lb Ling

Latest post on the boards

Author Topic: Sunderland - River Wear  (Read 1083 times)

Offline BrianJ

• Site Contributor
  • Platinum Member
Sunderland - River Wear
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
River Wear – Sunderland

N/S = North Side      S/S = South Side
Click on the link below for map of River Wear fishing spots.

http://goo.gl/maps/k5YYN

River

The river Wear is a river that can be fished safely both on the Ebb & on the flood. The flood tends to be the favoured time for most anglers to fish the river but fish can be caught at any time. The only time the river can be unfishable is after a heavy down pour & there is lots of fresh water & debris being washed down.

Species

The most common species you can catch in the river are flounders, whities, coalies, codling & eels. The further up the river the less chance there is of a good sized fish except the flounder. Good sized flounders are common in the river right up to the Golden Lion pub. Good sized codling are a rarity the further up the river you go. Rare specimen fish such as Bass have been caught just past the Queen Alexandra bridge.

Bait

During the summer months peeler crab is the best bait to use for all species. Ragworm or ragworm tipped with mackerel is another good summer bait. Mackerel strips will also produce good results.
During the winter months lugworm,runnydown, ragworm, mackerel , mussel or frozen crab will be the best baits to try.
 The following photographs show most of the fishing spots from the mouth of the River wear up to the Golden Lion pub at South Hylton.

Old North Pier & Rathouse N/S

Cormorants N/S

Sand Point N/S

High Ledge N/S

Low Ledge N/S

Glass Centre N/S

Fish Quay Steps S/S

Panns Bank S/S

Monkwearmouth Lower Prom N/S

White Wall S/S

Monkwearmouth Staithes N/S

The Tins S/S

Southwick Pron N/S

Queen Alexandra Bridge N/S

Queen Alexandra Crane N/S

Queen Alex Business Park N/S

Timber Beach N/S

Claxheugh S/S

Golden Lion pub S/S

Flounders have been known to be caught much further up the wear than the Golden Lion pub.
This is just a brief show of the many spots on the River Wear for the pleasure angler.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

SPECIES STATUS TUNA

Offline JV

• SAR
  • Site Admin
  • Platinum Member
  • Kiss my wrasse!
Re: Sunderland - River Wear
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
Absolutely fantastic stuff Brian, loads of places I fancy giving a go for flatties there next summer. A very detailed article, many thanks  .cool.
"For we are the Vikings tamers of the deep"

SPECIES STATUS TUNA

Offline Dave

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member Award
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »
great stuff bri a real quality write up, cheers for sharing  .cool.

Offline Bob C

• Gold Member Award
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:23:40 PM »
Brilliant piece of work Brian, very useful m8.

Offline magpies

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
Great Info mate, I work at the Liebherr factory opposite the SOL and often fancy having a go in our car park. Would there be much potential there ? Tried once last summer but it was alive with crabs, baits stripped in minutes.

As an aside I used to fish freshwater matches on the Wear and we used to target big flounders with lobworm baits anywhere below the weir at Chester Le Street parkside. I had 2 for just under 3lb in a winter league there in 2005 ish, first peg below the weir. So they get right up there where there is no tide.

Offline BrianJ

• Site Contributor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »
Great Info mate, I work at the Liebherr factory opposite the SOL and often fancy having a go in our car park. Would there be much potential there ? Tried once last summer but it was alive with crabs, baits stripped in minutes.

As an aside I used to fish freshwater matches on the Wear and we used to target big flounders with lobworm baits anywhere below the weir at Chester Le Street parkside. I had 2 for just under 3lb in a winter league there in 2005 ish, first peg below the weir. So they get right up there where there is no tide.

Worth a shot over high water from your car park. I served my apprenticeship at Coles Cranes & we used to catch loads of flounders & coalies in our dinner break.
I will only be out for a couple of hours pet.

SPECIES STATUS TUNA

Offline dave1945

• Gold Member Award
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
that was a cracking report and pictures,takes me back to the 80s and 90s when i used to fish the 3 rivers matchs, any of the north lads who are going over to the n/s match should look up these marks as it looks like flatty bashing saturday.  davy
SPECIES STATUS GREAT WHITE